Discuss Additional socket/spur required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RedSnedd1903

Hi Guys/gals. I am currently working in a local factory and they have requested an additional socket be installed through in a certain are of there unit which has no sockets installed at present. The only supply there is a 4 core 6mm swa which was used a supply for a belt sander, it is now disconnected. The belt sander has now been moved to another part of the building and is supplied from the same triple pole mcb as before. However they are now looking for the double socket to be installed in the same position as where the sander used to be. The problem arrises now as there are no spare ways in the DB or i could have utilised one of these and used the existing swa as a radial. There is a ring circuit throughout the main factory wired in single core in a conduit system but the nearest point of access is a socket which would possibly be about 20m max from where they want the new socket. Anyway my thoughts were to install a new sw/spur on the ring at the closest socket and run a 2.5mm swa to the new socket position. The guy looking for the work to be done was suggesting wiring the 6mm existing supply into the existing ring at the board but i'm not keen on that at all.

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

Red

Is the 4 core swa properly glanded with the armour earthed via a banjo?
Can the unused core be properly connected to earth?
Can you get an MCB with the appropriate rating for this circuit?
I don't understand your reluctance mate, would you have a problem with this if the cable was a 3 core 4mm swa? I'd guess not. Ok this arrangement is a tad unusual but as long as you can make the circuit safe to use then what would be the problem in supplying a 6 amp load with a 50mm swa?
It would obviously be totally impractical but I'm sure you see my point

The 6mm would be fine to use as separate radial circuit, properly protected by RCBO or whatever and labelled at the DB. Also as mentioned above appropriately glanded both ends. Sounds easier than coming from the factory ring circuit which by the sounds of it is a long tricky run away, If I understand you right.

All best

After having a bit more time to think about this I still don't understand your thoughts on this mate. You're happy to install a 2.5mm spur over a 20 metre run which could lead to vd, Zs etc issues but you're not happy to adapt a redundant circuit which would, I assume, introduce neither of these problems.
It's bizarre

After having a bit more time to think about this I still don't understand your thoughts on this mate. You're happy to install a 2.5mm spur over a 20 metre run which could lead to vd, Zs etc issues but you're not happy to adapt a redundant circuit which would, I assume, introduce neither of these problems.
It's bizarre

Errm, I was replying to the OP - unless that wasn't meant for me

Hi guys thanks for the replies. The problem I have with using the existing armour is that there are no spare ways at the db which would mean I would have to spur off the ring mcb but the existing ring already has a spur from the mcb.

Presumably this belt sander had an MCB/RCBO/Fuse supplying it?
Change that for an appropriately rated MCB/RCBO and the jobs a goodun

Presumably this belt sander had an MCB/RCBO/Fuse supplying it?
Change that for an appropriately rated MCB/RCBO and the jobs a goodun

I was going to say that, are we connected in some way through some sort of mind control as mentioned earlier? spooky, change what ever OCPD was protecting the 4 core SWA, fit an appropriate OCPD and convert the 4 core into the two legs of a ring final, and add a few more sockets in the area that requires a 2 gang socket.

Reply to Additional socket/spur required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net