Discuss Additions or alterations re bs951 clamp used to supply earth on incomer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a no-no although Ive seen DNO's that have done it in the past.

No not doing it yourself - i mean would you be happy carrying out work on install cu change or would you consider it a not acceptable means of earthing and ask DNO to update it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ask for it to be updated and enquire about the availability of PME. It's a question only the DNO can answer. If testing shows a higher Ze than 0.8ohms they should update it but if not you may consider going the TT route but that is more expense for you or the customer

That's your call if you are satisfied that the termination won't degrade and if it's been there for years it probably won't you could just leave it but I don't think it complies and I would note it on the EIC.

You cant "just leave it" Whats a phonecall to DNO going to cost ?? By informing them you have carried out your obligations under "Duty of care" and not the call and advice given on cert or at least on the invoice IMHO

You cant "just leave it" Whats a phonecall to DNO going to cost ?? By informing them you have carried out your obligations under "Duty of care" and not the call and advice given on cert or at least on the invoice IMHO

Mogga i agree just getting views as there seems to be alot of conflicting views on this.

I’ve worked on paper/lead for years, you’d be amazed what abuse it will take. But if I’ve used a BS951 clamp on to the lead I’ve always put a strip of lead around the sheath under the clamp or if I’d got it wrap lead wire around the sheath. My preferred method would be to lead wipe an earth tape to the sheath but don’t try this one at home! Lead wiping is an art on it’s own. There’s a fair amount of heat put in to the lead so impractical to retro fit to an old compound filled domestic cut out, which is where the above method comes in.

Here is one I did earlier OK it’s 11KV but you can imagine how much heat goes in the cable to wipe the lead.
View attachment 7062

Last edited by a moderator:
if i saw a bs 951 clamp on a cable, id be tempted to replace it with a constant tensuion rollspring,. these come in resin joint/splic kits, and are designed for this purpose. they dont degrade, and dont damage the cable underneath.

Ye gods!
I‘ve just had a look at how much Antimonial Lead Wire is now, you moan at the cost of copper, £62 per 5M ! ! ! ! !
I’m hanging on to what bit I’ve got left.

Reply to Additions or alterations re bs951 clamp used to supply earth on incomer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net