Discuss Adiabatic Calculation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
When doing the adiabatic calculation for cpc on a circuit greater than 32 amps, do you specify 0.4 or 5 seconds on the trip time?

So my situation would be 40A MCB no RCD 230V and Zs of 0.33 ohms

Kind regards,

Chris

Last edited:
^^^ what he said ^^^

As Risteard, taking account of any effects of current limiting if applicable.
However for ADS purposes the disconnection time would be 5s, but one would hope that the MCB would operate faster than that!

As Risteard, taking account of any effects of current limiting if applicable.
However for ADS purposes the disconnection time would be 5s, but one would hope that the MCB would operate faster than that!

Based on 230/0.33 it should trip somewhere between 0.1 and 11 seconds. The issue I have is I don't have the l2t for the breaker to narrow it down. Based on 5 seconds and using k factor of 113 its saying I should have a cpc of about 13.8mm

So I am sat here thinking I am doing something stupid

yes, by using 5 secs. from the Zs, calculate the fault current. then go to app.3 and find out the trip time for that MCB at that fault current. then use the If and the t values in the adiabatic.

yes, by using 5 secs. from the Zs, calculate the fault current. then go to app.3 and find out the trip time for that MCB at that fault current. then use the If and the t values in the adiabatic.
That's the problem I am having. Based on my readings its 230/0.33=696.96

That is off the scale so is 0.1. If I calculate that then I am getting about 1.95 cpc. Why this bothers me is Im probably wrong or its doesn't sit well with the rule of thumb of the cpc being less than half the phase conductor size as its powering a sub board?

Am I doing this all wrong?

For a 40A type B MCB this will trip on the magnetic trip between 3 and 5 times In.
So after 5In (200 A) the magnetic trip will operate and the MCB will switch off in less than 0.001 seconds.

As you have 696 A as the PEFC at that point you can assume that from 200A upwards you will have a trip time of 0.001 seconds.
This will give a minimum csa of 0.2mm² so use an appropriate size that is suitable for the supply.

Reply to Adiabatic Calculation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock