Discuss Admirable AVO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When a relative’s husband died and she cleared out her loft she found an old AVO in a leather box. I don’t know how old it is but know it has not been used since her husband left the RAF In the 1950’s. ( I think it may actually belong to them!) It needed a good home so I was given it. I have not got round to cleaning it up and sorting out the missing batteries and it has just sat on the corner of my bench. Yesterday I needed an old fashioned moving coil meter to observe a voltage variation. I compared its output against my trusty skytronics DVM and to my pleasant surprise observed what I recorded in the attachment. Please excuse some of the camerawork. I guess it must be 60 to 70 years old.

ps: My first meter bought as a Christmas present in 1971 which my father was told was the Japanese equivalent of an AVO. It certainly gave sterling service until the rotary switch wore out.

Analog Multimeter TMK-500 Equipment TMK, Tachikawa Radio - https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/tmk_analog_multimeter_tmk_500.html

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 11.mp4
    51.3 MB
Over on the vintage radio forum are AVO experts who are usually keen to acquire serial numbers and data for the register.

I still have the Model 8 Mk.II that dad gave me, worn and damaged in places but still fully functional. I don't use it any more, I have a couple of later ones that were maintained in calibration until the 1990s that don't have any sentimental value. It's useful to have a couple of moving-coil meters on hand when working on machines, and I keep a set of shunts in the drawer although they don't come out often.

Doors are closing behind us for maintaining moving-coil instrument because the skills and tooling to service the movements are in very short supply now. The AVO Valve Characteristic Meter is a case in point, as it uses a very sensitive (30μA FSD) movement, even more sensitive than the multimeter. The last company that would repair and calibrate them have stopped offering the service and the chap who had the experience and knowledge is no longer alive, so now we're on our own. It can be worked around by using a more modern movement and a buffer circuit that matches the original sensitivity and resistance, but the machines themselves are valuable and more so with the original meter in place. There is a pair of protection diodes to hopefully save the coil from destruction if the controls are set wrongly but they can't protect against 100% of all possible mishaps.

It focuses the mind when dialling in the settings.

Testing audio valves on the dining room table, a while back:

DSCF7669.JPG
DSCF7674.JPG
DSCF7679.JPG

This is specifically the dining table at the family home which is a bit more flexible re. comings and going of electrical apparatus. The room at that time contained a working resistance dimmerboard for the lighting, a mercury arc rectifier, an Aeolian roll-playing Orchestrelle, six models of Goblin Teasmade, various cameras and projectors, even an AVO meter or two.

I have one from about 1908, not that long after they coined the 'Megger' name, that is still usably within calibration. I think the voltage is a slighly low on account of the generator losing magnetism but really not very much, and it's within cal for the actual resistance reading. The magnet could be re-charged to bring it fully back in-spec but as it is still sealed with a proper lead seal, I don't want to open it.

I admire your dedication to preserving old electrical artefacts and equally the technological knowledge associated with them.

Thought: could you do the same with telectrix and Pete999? ?
no bloody chance. he'd have us pickled in brine and put on display in his museum.

pickled in brine

Formaldehyde, probably. Or stuffed. One hunched over a hole in the skirting stripping VIR singles, another with a wooden-handled screwdriver wiring a pendant with maroon twisted twin. Display titled 'Fitting the Electric Light c.1930'

Formaldehyde, probably. Or stuffed. One hunched over a hole in the skirting stripping VIR singles, another with a wooden-handled screwdriver wiring a pendant with maroon twisted twin. Display titled 'Fitting the Electric Light c.1930'
can tell who's who from that. I can't get on my bad knees and pete can't climb. means we need to pay 2 apprentices out of pensions (that's if there's a bit left over from the beer kitty).

Mostly KT66, although it looks like there are a few KT88s at the back (with the metal bases). I can see also a bunch of 5U4s, 6SN7s and various odds. The VCM is now in the museum workshop area and I am supposed to be testing some 1930s US audio triodes for someone, but it's proving an uphill struggle to get me, the valves and the tester together for long enough.

For the younger readers, valves are what we used before transistors as the main active component of all electronics. They were generally quite reliable and rarely needed replacing in ordinary applications; many valve radios for example are still working with all their original valves despite having needed most of their capacitors changed. But valves can and do fail especially if there are faulty capacitors in their surrounding circuitry that drive the valves into overload, and eventually wear out if used heavily. Valve behaviour is quite complex and there are many different kinds with vastly different specs, hence the rather elaborate machine needed to test them properly.

They were generally quite reliable and rarely needed replacing in ordinary applications; many valve radios for example are still working with all their original valves despite having needed most of their capacitors changed.
The two Voyager craft use valves for the transmitters (X-band TWTs) and they are both still working after 43 years of continuous use under "interesting" conditions!

Reply to Admirable AVO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net