Discuss AdScam! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E.E.I

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I had 3 phone calls from 3 different companies today trying to sell me Ad space in their monthly booklet highlighting the risk of rogue traders.

They also told me that if I was to take out an Ad the would only refer me to anyone in my area as a competent electrician.

Oh yeah, they also promised at least 3 jobs a month?

Has anyone else had dealings with these sort of companies? It's got to be a scam, 3 phone calls within the space of an hour!

I have, there's usually some idiotic carrot dangled just like that 3 jobs thing. Last one I had told me about the last electrician who used them and how he got so much work he had to sub some out. The bloke was rushed off his feet for months and made a shed load of money.
He went quiet when I asked why he wasn't advertising with them any more.

Yep one of the phone calls was claiming to be the fire service, the other the "National Crime Prevention Agency" the third one was claiming to be a charity!

Tell them to hold the line while you get the boss to talk to them then leave the phone off the hook and go to the pub. They're paying for the call. ;)

Unsolicited letters?? .......... sellotape them to a couple of Screwfix catalogues - or similar - write "Return to sender" on them and dump them in the post box. They get to pay for the return and the added extra weight.

Tell them to hold the line while you get the boss to talk to them then leave the phone off the hook and go to the pub. They're paying for the call. ;)

Unsolicited letters?? .......... sellotape them to a couple of Screwfix catalogues - or similar - write "Return to sender" on them and dump them in the post box. They get to pay for the return and the added extra weight.
you evil old so and so.I hope for everyones sake me and you never meet up,with your ideas and mine we'd have a lot of worried people.lol:stooge_curly:

It was only last week (I think) when a VERY official letter landed on the mat (Tidyboiler was here and will vouch for this) pristine white envelope with On Her Majesty's Service writ large across the top of it.

Wot's I done now?? I thinks to myself and opened it. Inside, on a very impressive looking letterhead is some schpiel about me having been "carefully chosen" to take part in some sort of "survey" and a "representative" would be calling to conduct the survey. Said representative would have official I.D etc. The letter ended by thanking me for my cooperation and by way of thanks would I accept the booklet of 12 First Class stamps that was stapled to the letter.

I wrote on the letter in my finest Geordie scrawl that any approach by anyone from thier company would be most unwelcome and not to bother. I ended by thanking them for the stamps, then stuffed said letter back into the envelope with return to sender scrawled across it then sellotaped a Screwfix catalogue and half a dozen pizza / takeaway leaflets and two charity bags to it and back into the post box it went.

This morning, there's a knock at the door and there's this bloody woman armed with a clipboard and flashing her I.D card at me. I gave her my best Geordie glare and she asked if I had got the letter. I told her I had, and what I had done with it and why she was here when I had told her company not to send her.

She was then told to "go away" and she did, managing to clear the three steps up from my door to the street in two bounds.

I reckon the whole encounter lasted less than a minute and her ears are probably still ringing even now. :)

We got a letter a couple of weeks back from some loan company offering us all kinds of everything for a low APR. It had a £ coin taped to it for some reason.
They got some old political leaflets from the euro election that were still lying around, Some info on how to get a free boiler inspection and some double glazing leaflets in their reply paid envelope.
See Phil, it's all of us :)

We got a letter a couple of weeks back from some loan company offering us all kinds of everything for a low APR. It had a £ coin taped to it for some reason.
They got some old political leaflets from the euro election that were still lying around, Some info on how to get a free boiler inspection and some double glazing leaflets in their reply paid envelope.
See Phil, it's all of us :)

Good lad.

Looks like there may be some truth in the rumour that you're my long lost son after all ;)

It was only last week (I think) when a VERY official letter landed on the mat (Tidyboiler was here and will vouch for this) pristine white envelope with On Her Majesty's Service writ large across the top of it.

Wot's I done now?? I thinks to myself and opened it. Inside, on a very impressive looking letterhead is some schpiel about me having been "carefully chosen" to take part in some sort of "survey" and a "representative" would be calling to conduct the survey. Said representative would have official I.D etc. The letter ended by thanking me for my cooperation and by way of thanks would I accept the booklet of 12 First Class stamps that was stapled to the letter.

I wrote on the letter in my finest Geordie scrawl that any approach by anyone from thier company would be most unwelcome and not to bother. I ended by thanking them for the stamps, then stuffed said letter back into the envelope with return to sender scrawled across it then sellotaped a Screwfix catalogue and half a dozen pizza / takeaway leaflets and two charity bags to it and back into the post box it went.

This morning, there's a knock at the door and there's this bloody woman armed with a clipboard and flashing her I.D card at me. I gave her my best Geordie glare and she asked if I had got the letter. I told her I had, and what I had done with it and why she was here when I had told her company not to send her.

She was then told to "go away" and she did, managing to clear the three steps up from my door to the street in two bounds.

I reckon the whole encounter lasted less than a minute and her ears are probably still ringing even now. :)

I think the Kleeneze man, Rington's tea man and the Avon Lady are all still quivering under a hedge somewhere too. :D

I'm loving the idea of old catalogues etc taped to the reply envelope! Class

I confess I can't take the credit for that idea. I found it while browsing for advice on how to deal with letters from Debt Collectors .....

The other trick is to withdraw their Implied Right of Access and send them a note of your charges for dealing with their unsolicited mail starting at something like £50 per item and then charge interest on the bill when they don't pay.

There was an article in the Daily Fail recently about a bloke who did this. Got himself a few grand out of it.

It was almost some dog poo that had been sun baked but then I remembered, there's no law against posting bricks.

Aye .. you could be in a bit of bother for posting that.

A week or two back a certain ----- from round the corner let her dog crap on my path and I carefully trod in it and spread it on my carpet.

Later that night the remains of it found it's way smeared all over her car's door handle ....

So far, neither she nor dog have been back. ;)

Aye .. you could be in a bit of bother for posting that.

A week or two back a certain ----- from round the corner let her dog crap on my path and I carefully trod in it and spread it on my carpet.

Later that night the remains of it found it's way smeared all over her car's door handle ....

So far, neither she nor dog have been back. ;)

May not be shog dit, ................. have you seen his wife? woof! :eek:mg_smile:

Reply to AdScam! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock