Discuss Advantages and disadvantages of Ring Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good article. Had an interesting ring fault today. 30A fuseholder melted in old Wylex box. Fault caused by circuit overload due to broken Live in ring circuit ( only 1 ring circuit for entire house, old 3 bed council property ). Finally traced fault to broken cable in Kitchen which Kitchen fitter had drilled through when fitting Kitchen over 5 years ago. He must have got an almighty bang/shock but appears to have just removed the screw and rewired the fuse. What a Muppet. Circuit overloaded recently as boiler was broken and customer plugged in 3 Halogen heaters while waiting for bolier to be repaired.

The radial argument seems mostly based on everyone is terrible at their job and that a radial is cheaper because you won't use another 4 meters or so of cable to join it. Need to be a fair few meters long before it outdoes the cost on a MCB (or RCBO!). Good point on the unnecessary use of cpcs in metal containment systems though

The radial argument seems mostly based on everyone is terrible at their job and that a radial is cheaper because you won't use another 4 meters or so of cable to join it. Need to be a fair few meters long before it outdoes the cost on a MCB (or RCBO!). Good point on the unnecessary use of cpcs in metal containment systems though

The fact is, BOTH have a place in electrical installations, both have advantages and disadvantages. Any disadvantages relating to incompetence of the installer/tester should be ignored, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the circuit method/make-up itself!!

I think this debate will rage forever. My two pennies are a personal anecdote. I had a simple little job to do at an old property, replace a cracked socket front. Being OCD, I did a few tests like Ze, PFC etc and some continuity tests as I could see some interesting work had been done. One of the L on the RFC had a break and it turned out someone had nicked it with a picture hook some years before. The picture hook had since been removed and the hole filled in and papered over. So, there was a live picture hook, no blown fuse, sticking out of the wall for a few years. When it was taken out, being an RFC, all the sockets were still working. There was no RCD at the property, and it was just chance that the picture hook never found a ground. Makes you wonder just how many RFC's have breaks in them, still undetected. If it had been a radial, it would've failed at some point either before the hook was taken out or on its removal.

i prefer rings, myself. sometimes it's the only way i can find my way back to the DB. :biggrin5: :ciappa:

I think this debate will rage forever. My two pennies are a personal anecdote. I had a simple little job to do at an old property, replace a cracked socket front. Being OCD, I did a few tests like Ze, PFC etc and some continuity tests as I could see some interesting work had been done. One of the L on the RFC had a break and it turned out someone had nicked it with a picture hook some years before. The picture hook had since been removed and the hole filled in and papered over. So, there was a live picture hook, no blown fuse, sticking out of the wall for a few years. When it was taken out, being an RFC, all the sockets were still working. There was no RCD at the property, and it was just chance that the picture hook never found a ground. Makes you wonder just how many RFC's have breaks in them, still undetected. If it had been a radial, it would've failed at some point either before the hook was taken out or on its removal.

That's not a negative point for rings IMHO, more of a case in favour of regular EICRs (the proper ones, not the drive by type!).

Advantages and disadvantages? Each have their place.
This isn’t about which is best, it’s all about making things easy for the ill trained pheudo electrical domestic installer.

Reply to Advantages and disadvantages of Ring Circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net