Discuss Advantages o DC Distribution System over AC. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

DC Distribution systems are used for very long distances such as undersea cables and crossing dessert areas which can be 1000 miles +, there is a lot less loss on DC, most undersea cables use DC transmission, the equipment used for conversion to Direct Current is very very expensive,the cables are also much bigger in terms of Diameter...so cost more to manufacture/buy and also need different pylons....

An example of DC transmission would be between the North and South islands of New Zealand.....the DC power is then converted (inverted) back into AC at the correct frequency before further land based transmission then step-down for use....

Solid state High energy Rectifiers are now used to convert the AC to DC, older systems used to use large multi-Ton Mercury Arc Rectifiers...

We also have DC transmission in the UK. The one I know of is called BritNed, and allows is to import and export electricity from the Netherlands.

an advantage of DC transmission is that using the electronic process, frequency can be altered, so power can be shared between systems with different frequencies.

Why do we not use dc circuits in the home, coupled with a PV system.

Led lighting circuits

Think how how we plug in only wants dc anyway. Obviously we still need ac but surely we missing a trick. How easy would
It be to store energy from PV ? Then just use it on these circuits ?

Led lighting circuits

Think how how we plug in only wants dc anyway. Obviously we still need ac but surely we missing a trick. How easy would

DC is widely used in off the grid installs. Only trouble is current battery technology, limited lifetimes of batteries used.

Led lighting circuits

Point to point DC voltage transission works well, it doesn't work very well at all, for general LV distribution. The first LV distribution systems were DC in the main, but most were relatively quickly converted to AC, as it has far more advantages than DC. Think about it a little, and you'll understand why that is... lol!! Something else we have Telsa to thank for!! lol!!

It's a shame he wasn't taken far more seriously, when he was alive and kicking!! lol!! Many of his inventions and theories are still under wraps, because the worlds electrical supply industries would lose, or cost them too much money if they were to be implemented!! lol
That's Capitalism for you, where profits always rule!! lol!!

It's a shame he wasn't taken far more seriously, when he was alive and kicking!! lol!! Many of his inventions and theories are still under wraps, because the worlds electrical supply industries would lose, or cost them too much money if they were to be implemented!! lol
That's Capitalism for you, where profits always rule!! lol!!

He got ignored due to that Yank, gobsh!te, sales pitch spouting Edison (I think!)

Fairly sure all you guys just did this guy's College work for him. This was a question in one of my old assignments as well.

We also have DC transmission in the UK. The one I know of is called BritNed, and allows is to import and export electricity from the Netherlands. an advantage of DC transmission is that using the electronic process, frequency can be altered, so power can be shared between systems with different frequencies.
why do we not just keep our own electricity? do you think we actually genuinely really do import any? we EXPORT it cheap to the EU, then we pay a lot more than them for what little we get.

Point to point DC voltage transission works well, it doesn't work very well at all, for general LV distribution. The first LV distribution systems were DC in the main, but most were relatively quickly converted to AC, as it has far more advantages than DC. Think about it a little, and you'll understand why that is... lol!! Something else we have Telsa to thank for!! lol!!
and mr tesla died pretty much pennyless alone in a hotel room in New York city surrounded by the glow of Electric lights, from a Hydro electric dam over 100 miles away..... previous lighting in the streets was High voltage DC Carbon Arc, he persuaded them to change to AC....

What it really comes down to is that dc does not electrocute animals as well as ac does. This can be seen when edison was trying to promote his dc distribution vs teslas ac distribution. Ever wonder why all electric oven ranges are on ac? That's right, it cooks our meat faster and better than dc ever did.

What it really comes down to is that dc does not electrocute animals as well as ac does. This can be seen when edison was trying to promote his dc distribution vs teslas ac distribution. Ever wonder why all electric oven ranges are on ac? That's right, it cooks our meat faster and better than dc ever did.

Would it be anything to do with the fact that suppliers only provide AC?? lol!!

Reply to Advantages o DC Distribution System over AC. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net