Discuss Advice - 2330 - What next? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Ash C

Hi all,

I'm after some advice regarding my college courses and where to go next, etc. Just briefly, I am 24, and currently hold the C&G 2330 Level 2 and have just started on the level 3 (2330). I do this class 2 nights a week as I work full time as head of maintenance at a hotel in cornwall. As some of you probably know the C&G courses are all changing currently and the 2330 is becoming the 2357. My problem is that I need to do the Level 3 NVQ but because the 2330 NVQ is no longer available I am finding it difficult to see what I need to do, and frankly the college advice is vauge and very un-decided. My other problem is that because I work full time at the hotel I have had to get them to agree to allowing me to have 1 day a week off to work with an electrician who is willing to get me through the NVQ (for some free labour!), But which NVQ do I need to do?! and as far as i'm aware I still need to do the AM2 and the 17th edition courses?! In an ideal world I would go out and get a job as an electricians apprentice, but because of not being in a financial position to live off minimum wage this is not an option. I want to do this properly and work underneath an experienced electrician before going it alone. Any guidance on these matters would be a massive help!

Cheers, Ash.

Hi Ash,

First of all the 2330 is now being extended until January 2013 and the NVQ 2356 will probably follow suit. At the moment you need to complete the 2330 level 3 and should ideally be completing your NVQ 2356 alongside this. You do not mention if you have any electrical installation experience at all, if not you will find it difficult to complete the NVQ 2356 and training providers like XS Training will not allow you to complete their courses without the necessary experience as you will not be able to prove competency for all the units. You may find that your college has a work based learning department and you should contact the electrical department from the WBL and they should advise you.

However, if you have relevant experience you should aim to complete the NVQ 2356 as outlined above and you should contact training providers for some feedback on your suitability for this NVQ.

Hi Ash,

You should be able to map your current qualifications across to the 2357 framework should you wish. However the issue is still the same you need to ensure you are able to complete your portolfio of work for the NVQ elements.

Also you can still sign up to do just the NVQ only elements throughout 2012. If you make applications for the NVQ only you will be assessed in terms of suitability and as long as you are deemed to meet the criteria then you can complete this in a time frame suitable to you. This could be anything from 6 months to 3 years depending on your situation.

Thanks for the advice! I do have some experience in electrical installations, but only at a basic level and not very much which has been carried out under supervision (although I have always had any work checked before switching on!). I have, since my post, spoken to a different part of the college who have advised me much more accuratly on the situation. I think i'll be going down the apprenticeship route and as stated by Tradeskills4u will be transferring my current qualifications. This will work out to be the most beneficial for me as it will give me the most supervised "on site" experience. I just have to learn to live with a rather large pay cut for a couple of years :(. Just another thought, does anyone know if the national minimum wage applies to apprentices? (bearing in mind i'm almost 25!). Cheers again for the advice!

do what you have todo, to get working with someone,,,, and go apprentice route, its spaced out and give you time to digest it.. good luck

Reply to Advice - 2330 - What next? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net