Discuss Advice and information in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Brunel

-
DIY
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

A bit of background info. I live in a flat complex, approx. 6 mths ago some building work was carried out which necessitated removal of some external light fittings pending full completion of the work.
An electrical contractor was employed for the removal and making safe, until the work was completed.
Six months later, for reasons as yet unknown, the work has not been completed and the temporary electrical work is still in situ. I and a few other residents have queried whether the temporary electrical work is safe, the cables are of course outside, and are only covered in plain brown electrical tape, please see attached picture 1:50358

Today the electrician was on site for other work and also added some extra tape and a plastic bag to the above cables and to another cable in a different position. These cables are within touching distance of anyone walking past. Picture 2:50359

Picture 3:50360

I realise that the work is only temp. Do I have good grounds in raising a serious safety issue to the management company?
Thanks for any response.

If those cables are actually live I would seriously question the competence of the individual who carried it out, temporary or not.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
That wants reporting and sorting out. Who on earth would leave it like that. How long would it have taken to use an IP rated Junction box. Probably took longer twisting the cables up and wrapping them in tape.

Last edited:
Well it confirms one thing that wasn't done by an electrician. Someone masquerading as one but something completely different.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hey thats my job ,i could not find a umbrella so i had use a jiffy bag stopping the rain getting in .lol.

Charlie_

-
Arms
Good job electricity and fires know when something is only temporary

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
From day one that is a bodge , Those cables seem to be trapped against the metal framework of that structure , lets hope they don't chafe through and electrocute someone.

Charlie_

-
Arms
“lets hope they don't chafe through”

“Mr Cockburn maybe?”

It would appear so

ive heared condoms have a good ip rating espically the ribbed ones o_Oo_O

AndyL

-
Arms
I can't work out how the removal of light fittings has lead to so much cable hanging about like that. They look as if they had never been fixed

Brunel

-
DIY
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't work out how the removal of light fittings has lead to so much cable hanging about like that. They look as if they had never been fixed
The cables fed two lights under a fixed canopy.

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed
I don't think it has been mentioned but those cables may very well have been made safe by disconnection and the electrician be taping them up to stop corrosion

If that is not the case then the comments previous may be justified

Brunel

-
DIY
I don't think it has been mentioned but those cables may very well have been made safe by disconnection and the electrician be taping them up to stop corrosion

If that is not the case then the comments previous may be justified
Good observation. These cables are all LIVE, they used to feed a permanent outside light and an emergency light. They are connected direct to the internal 24Hr. lighting circuit.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
then whoever did that wants his arse kicking. they should have been either locked off or dissed from MCB/s, and preferably the N also.

I wouldn’t be happy leaving that lot for 6 days like that let alone 6 months.

It’s proper badgers rough

I wouldn't even leave that for 6 hours, never mind 6 months. I don't think they ever intended to come back to finish the job. Did you get an electrician to sort it out? Where are you based?

Brunel

-
DIY
Thanks for all your replies, it is still ongoing, I am awaiting a reply from the "Management Committee"
Another couple of pictures attached.50401

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I said I’ll be back and I will......probably sometimeish.....maybe....

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
While the electrics don't look too clever I think I would be questioning the suitability of the fixings that are holding that steelwork
It's a complete bodge , if there is no plate on the inside those bottom bolts are on the edge of the bricks , OK it might have a support upright , but it is not ideal.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Advice and information in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom