Discuss Advice for entering the industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mtaylor39

Hi all

Apologies if this is covered some previous thread, the level of information on this forum is a bit daunting for a novice.

I am considering a career change, and am looking at becoming an electrician. However the range of options seems really confusing. There seems to be a lot of different courses / qualifications and I don't know what the correct route it to become properly qualified. For example, there are some 'become a professional electrician' course I can find that take 3 months, and offer to be fully qualified. This seems a bit too easy. Whereas others quote 3 years. It seems like a minefield out there!

I am 25 and have a degree, so I believe any sort of apprenticeship is out of the question.

If anyone could share some advice on the routes available or the route I should be looking at, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice

the range isn`t confusing....not if you look at it in a sensible, orderly manner:

its 3 years at college backed up with day to day on site experience....

forget 5 week stuff whatever...all a load of nonsense...

Tonnes of threads on this subject mate, apprenticeship would be the best way to go, but are few and far between.

Look at getting into working with a sparks while your at college, even if all you do is make him tea and sweep up after him at first. Practical experience is vital, I did 2 years at college while working with a small firm, and has proved it's worth as being on site taught me so much more than the 4 foot booth did!

Avoid the short courses like the black death, they are full of empty promises and utter BS. If you really want this career change, prepare to invest YEARS into it, not weeks!

look at the courses offering the 3 month qualification as you would have looked at getting the degree in 3 months.

the degree takes 3 years full time and so does the route into getting into the trade. if your still up for it then go for it. the way forward is to get into a College and do the 2357. this will cover both the technical side and furthermore the practical side you will then need to take your 17th (2382) and then after some experience the inspection and testing qual. i won`t chuck too many courses at you as thats enough to think about for now :D .
ncn Course Search

there are a few of your colleges courses on there but im sure you might know of other colleges in you area. give them a buzz and im sure they will still be enrolling for September. as previous posters have said get in with a local spark for the experience side of things as it is invaluable for the on site experience. btw what did you do at Uni?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was assuming that the 3 month courses were to be avoided. Too good to be true and all that. The things that were confusing me is all the course numbers. But a good starting point to see if I like doing it and / or any good at it will be the 17th wiring course and PAT testing (i think)

I did Business at uni. Mainly as I didn't know what else to do and my school had made it seem like Uni was the only option.

I'm booked in to see a careers advisor at a local college to discuss steps to progress further, but thought it handy to get some info from guys in the know.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

tbh the 17th is only the regulations mate. ie no practical bits just a stand alone and is normally done after the tech certs.

the pat testing will probably bore you senseless lool. have a chat with the advisor and pop back on here for some more advice if you decide to progress into the industry. and of course good luck in which ever profession you want to go into.

Reply to Advice for entering the industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net