Discuss Advice for House alarm Install in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help and guidance on what kit and how best to install a house alarm. Checked some of the earler threads and there seems to be a range of opinion. Long story short mate of mine came home last night and caught a little toe-rag in his front room eying up his plasma. Consequently he's now asked me to put in an alarm.

I don't normally get involved in this site of domestic installs so would welcome any help. Part of me thinks he might be better getting a monitored system put in by a full-time registered installer - rather than a bells only system that I could put in.

All advice welcome

Thanks

Will

Last edited:
Hey mate.

It all depends on how in-depth you want to go, and how much you want to spend.

A simple alarm would consist of probably 2-3 zones. with pir's facing ground floor windows and doors, a keypad and your panel. Dead easy to wire and connect.

A more involved one would have window and door contacts, panic buttons etc.

Accenta do a good range of kit for the domestic market.

If you do go down the monitored route it can get pricey.

Hope this helps.

Put mine in many years ago, all hard wired, even the garage doors are on a zone, peace of mind when theres £1000s of tools in there. Been upgraded a couple of times, new control panel, pirs etc.
As said above quite easy to do just take your time.

Thanks Guys,

should have said in my earlier post that the house is a 3 bed semi, patio doors, front and back doors and detached garage. Which probably means some Contacts as well as PIR's ?

can you guide me as to what kind of price should I expect to pay for the kit and is the wireless stuff worth a look ? I know it will be a dodle to install but in the longer term is it as good?

Thanks again

Will.

Thanks Guys,

should have said in my earlier post that the house is a 3 bed semi, patio doors, front and back doors and detached garage. Which probably means some Contacts as well as PIR's ?

can you guide me as to what kind of price should I expect to pay for the kit and is the wireless stuff worth a look ? I know it will be a dodle to install but in the longer term is it as good?

Thanks again

Will.

I have installed mainly Honeywell security systems and recently installed the new Hybrid system from scantronic, The scantronic i-on16 is a combination of hard wired and wireless.

I would always recommend a hardwired alarm system, mainly for the reliability, but i find now many people are thinking of alarms as after thoughts, Usually after they get broken in to, or after they have just finishished decorating the house.. In which case i will recommend the scantronic i-on16 system as it has part of the reliability of a wired system but also you wouldn't have the mess of pulling back carpets and installing PIR's and contacts as these are wireless.
I rate the scantronic very highly and think its a very sophisticated system, but as said before i will always try and install a hardwired system, and if the customer doesn’t want the mess then the professional wireless system is what i offer.

As an option to a monitored system, you can get an autodialler (triggered of the alarm) which will dial numerous personal numbers (not the police) off the landline. And will say a message that you choose. So pick your mobile, wifes mobile, parents etc

As I always say without doing myself out of business. Visual is the biggest deterrent. Bell box with flashing LED or :-

Cameras are so cheap now. Even the visual element of one outside the front. But just look how much they are. 4 Cameras and a DVR, would not be much more than a quality Scantronic system. (Around £350 all in)

Dave

Cameras are so cheap now. Even the visual element of one outside the front. But just look how much they are. 4 Cameras and a DVR, would not be much more than a quality Scantronic system. (Around £350 all in)

in the same context of:-

Tata Motors has unveiled the world's cheapest motor car at India's biggest car show in the capital, Delhi.
The vehicle, called the Tata Nano, will sell for 100,000 rupees or $2,500 (£1,277)

Aye installed a wireless alarm system for a mate the other day control panel ,external sounder , pir,s and magnetic door switches installed it and went through set - up in about 6 hours great kit , control panel picked up pir,s from about 40 metres away in his garage i was impressed .

Reply to Advice for House alarm Install in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net