Discuss Advice for job interview..... maintenance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Hi All!!

i got made redundant last week and i have a job interview tomorrow,

basically i was doing large industrial work and the interview I'm going for is for a maintenance electrician.

can anyone give me some advice what i should gen up on for the interview??

oh and would you wear a suit for the interview?

I would wear a suit. Some may disagree. It shows you have made an effort.

Just be honest about what you can and cant do, but show you are prepared to learn. There is a lot to be said for enthusiasm.
I have worked as a maintainance spark, and it involved everthing from lighting to PLC's, temerature control and instrumentation, and was bloody good experience.But it also involved shift work.

There may be oppertunitys to go on courses and expand your know-how.

Good Luck

I would wear a suit. Some may disagree. It shows you have made an effort.

Just be honest about what you can and cant do, but show you are prepared to learn. There is a lot to be said for enthusiasm.
I have worked as a maintainance spark, and it involved everthing from lighting to PLC's, temerature control and instrumentation, and was bloody good experience.But it also involved shift work.

There may be oppertunitys to go on courses and expand your know-how.

Good Luck

sounds like bloody good advice that! and i definatley need to expand my know how! all ive done is industrial and it would be nice to get a bit more experience! i just hope im not just changing lamps all day!

cheers mate!

find out what you can about the company,standard job interview advice i know but some interviewees dont bother and it make a lot of difference
good luck

The others have given good advice, just remember to allow yourself plenty of time to get there, so you aren't late even if you are held up.

Good luck.

cheers guys!

gonna get there a good 45mins early and wait out the way somewhere!

Good luck! Maintenance bored me silly but some love it and employers with a maintenance team seem happy to send their staff on all sorts of courses so take advantage!

Good luck! Maintenance bored me silly but some love it and employers with a maintenance team seem happy to send their staff on all sorts of courses so take advantage!

cheers mate! i must admit, i am a little concerned about it being boring but at the same time it will be nice to try something new! and it wouldnt hurt to get my 2391 out of them either!

cheers for all the advice guys! i got offered the job but the money was too low so i turned it down, they called me back later offering another position on a fault finding team with more money, they are gonna call back tomorrow with final figures! fingers crossed! its shift work but that might work out well as i could fit in some PJ's during the day!

cheers for all the advice guys! i got offered the job but the money was too low so i turned it down, they called me back later offering another position on a fault finding team with more money, they are gonna call back tomorrow with final figures! fingers crossed! its shift work but that might work out well as i could fit in some PJ's during the day!

Fault finding in a factory will be damn good experiance, and will expand your knowlage on control panels and motor circuits etc. It did for me. Beware though, it can be a bit presurised somtimes, you might have the line manager, engineering manager, and factory manager on your back if production is stopped costing thousands per hour, if you are the one trying to fix the machine holding everything up. Been it, done it, got a cupboard full of teeshirts !

Fault finding in a factory will be damn good experiance, and will expand your knowlage on control panels and motor circuits etc. It did for me. Beware though, it can be a bit presurised somtimes, you might have the line manager, engineering manager, and factory manager on your back if production is stopped costing thousands per hour, if you are the one trying to fix the machine holding everything up. Been it, done it, got a cupboard full of teeshirts !

Cool! Its at gatwick airport so who knows what might come up! Apparently i will have to go on a course on how to get people out of lifts aswell! :eek:

they went through a few typical faults on the phone and ive worked at the airport for 4 years so it makes things a little easier for me.

Hope it all goes well for you :)

I have worked in maintenance all my working life and I find my work varied, challenging and very interesting.

It is a very different game to installation, you never know you may really enjoy the change!

personally automation interests me (call me sad :)) so I'm not sure if going into installation work would float my boat... add to that the fact that its become almost impossible to go to any domestic installation job without shocking the customer to death with a quote highlighting requirements to bring their current install up to the laest regs.

Honestly guys I dont know how you do it!

where do you live?

Blackpool pleasure beach are after maint electricians

mostly automation,control circuits,motors,plc work

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it all goes well for you :)

I have worked in maintenance all my working life and I find my work varied, challenging and very interesting.

It is a very different game to installation, you never know you may really enjoy the change!

personally automation interests me (call me sad :)) so I'm not sure if going into installation work would float my boat... add to that the fact that its become almost impossible to go to any domestic installation job without shocking the customer to death with a quote highlighting requirements to bring their current install up to the laest regs.

Honestly guys I dont know how you do it!

i am the same, worked mostly in maintenance

never happier than having 10 A3 size circuit diagrams, all interconnected, laid out in front of me, fluke multimeter in one hand, and an oscilloscope in the other.:)

Reply to Advice for job interview..... maintenance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock