Discuss Advice for Moving Fuse Box and new Meter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silverbantam

I have recently bought a 3 story house with a self-contained basement that I am wishing to rent out.

The basement already has it's own gas supply and separate meter.

In a wardrobe in the basement is the electricity meter and new separate fuse boxes for the main house and basement.

If I rent out the basement I won't have access to the fuse box for the main house.

I am wishing to move the main house fuse box upstairs and install a new meter for the main house.

Will I need to get a new electricity supply installed ? Or is there another way of doing it ?

The two dwellings will need spate supplies, meters and fuses and each should be accessible from the accommodation it serves.

You will need to speak to your electricity supplier - the supply "head" and "meter" can not be touched by a spark.

Be prepared for long frustrating hours on the phone

I have recently bought a 3 story house with a self-contained basement that I am wishing to rent out.

The basement already has it's own gas supply and separate meter.

In a wardrobe in the basement is the electricity meter and new separate fuse boxes for the main house and basement.

If I rent out the basement I won't have access to the fuse box for the main house.

I am wishing to move the main house fuse box upstairs and install a new meter for the main house.

Will I need to get a new electricity supply installed ? Or is there another way of doing it ?

There may be other ways, but a new supply (which may, or may not, share the existing supply cable) would be your best bet. You'll then have separate bills for each occupant.

If I share the existing supply cable between the basement and main house is it possible to have different electrical suppliers ?

If I share the existing supply cable between the basement and main house is it possible to have different electrical suppliers ?

Any change involving the suppliers head/main fuse and the meters is up to the 2 supply companies involved!

Any change involving the suppliers head/main fuse and the meters is up to the 2 supply companies involved!

There's only one supplier at the moment but I want the tenant to have the option of changing their supplier in the future.

There's only one supplier at the moment but I want the tenant to have the option of changing their supplier in the future.

Precisely my point. You need to see if you supplier to see if the supply can be made into 2 - ONLY THEY CAN TELL YOU!

Spoke to 3 people at Scottish Power who told me different things. The last one told me to contact the supplier Northern Power Grid. They were the most helpful telling me I probably needed a new supply. I emailed her a photo of the main fuse and meter and she noticed the main fuse was very old and maybe unsafe so she arranged an emergency callout to check it. The engineer came a couple of hours later and said the main fuse should be replaced with a new one. While he was here I asked him about moving one of the fuse boxes and said it should be easy as another cable could be run off the main fuse to go upstairs and that an electrician could do it. Then Scottish Power could install the extra meter.

that still sounds like sub meters to me and would still both be 'owned' by scottish power. meaning you would still only have one supplier. and not be able to split to two suppliers.

Reply to Advice for Moving Fuse Box and new Meter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net