Discuss Advice for practical test (Western Power) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anyone could offer advice for an apprentice practical test coming up with Western Power, I passed the first stage (Knowledge). ?Have been told it will also involve climbing electricity poles, I am still in first year so have no qualifications yet?

Thanks

I went for a practical assessment with a Scottish DNO not so long ago.

It involded two short "assessments". The first was one to get a look at your hand skills, and whether you could follow instruction.

An instructor showed everyone how to strip a cable and connect it up to a cut out. There was a diagram and written instructions. Nothing too taxing. Took around 20 minutes all in, including being told what to do and tidying up your work area.

The second also involved climbing a pole. This one was to see if you had the confidence to do the job.

The scenario was to climb up a ladder on to a platform and pull up a rope with a basket attached. Once you did the task you lowered it back down and climbed down the ladder.

You got shown what to do and how to safely do it. Very simple stuff again.

Best of luck on your application and I hope it all goes well for you!

I did the practical for central networks before WPD took over at Tipton.
Whet into the workshop and did a straight con to a cutout from a job sheet. Had to make sure it was measured to the spec etc.
Outside had to do a ladder climb up a pole and lift a weight up on the rope and lower it back down, then lean backwards with arms out to show confidence in the harness. And finally climb a pole with the climbing rungs and belt half way up then back down again.

I cant imagine its changed that much being it's the same people in the education centres.

It was quite interesting seeing people who had to do the climb in suits!

In the early 90's as a young lad with 2 yrs engineering experience behind me, company I worked for went bust

I went for this test with the MEB identical type of test except the wiring was t&e surface switch to batten holder clipped on a wooden board

At the time there was a a lot of competition due to the recession approx 2500 going for 4 posts!
There were people there with HND's trying to get a craft apprenticeship !

I got rejected due to the wiring test

It was perfect !
Clips and components spaced to the exact measurements, but my downfall was that I hadn't done it in the exact same order the instructor had ,
he smoothed out the T&E made a bend first and fixed the components to board and installed cable then did the switch first ,
I'd done wiring like this before and just cracked on and did it very slightly differently batten first thinking a bit of speed would make me stand out as it showed I was competent

At the time I was annoyed as it was better than some of the others who did get through and the Instructor even told me so

The point was a lot of their safety procedures are set in stone for obvious reasons and by doing things in a slightly different order can be very dangerous especially with the equipment/ voltages they work with.

So my advice would be listen and watch carefully and follow to the letter

In the early 90's as a young lad with 2 yrs engineering experience behind me, company I worked for went bust

I went for this test with the MEB identical type of test except the wiring was t&e surface switch to batten holder clipped on a wooden board

At the time there was a a lot of competition due to the recession approx 2500 going for 4 posts!
There were people there with HND's trying to get a craft apprenticeship !

I got rejected due to the wiring test

It was perfect !
Clips and components spaced to the exact measurements, but my downfall was that I hadn't done it in the exact same order the instructor had ,
he smoothed out the T&E made a bend first and fixed the components to board and installed cable then did the switch first ,
I'd done wiring like this before and just cracked on and did it very slightly differently batten first thinking a bit of speed would make me stand out as it showed I was competent

At the time I was annoyed as it was better than some of the others who did get through and the Instructor even told me so

The point was a lot of their safety procedures are set in stone for obvious reasons and by doing things in a slightly different order can be very dangerous especially with the equipment/ voltages they work with.

So my advice would be listen and watch carefully and follow to the letter
Will do thanks

Reply to Advice for practical test (Western Power) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock