Discuss Advice for rosemary roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What's the issue with rosemary tiles? Most houses 'round our way have them and they're pretty simple to deal with.

Just make sure you have plenty of spares.......

Hi

Working on Rosemary tiles is quite easy but as BiggsSolar has said....have plenty of spares.

I have attached a few pics of how I install my brackets on Rosemary tiles

Hope it helps.

photo1.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto.JPGphoto3.JPGphoto4.JPG

Cheers for the pics Mark, having not done a roof yet with rosmaries think oncce we get on with it itll be a doddle but most houses round our way are tile or slate so rosmaries are few and far between, ill let you know how we get on

Did one recently as a subby for another company, roofer put lead flashes under hooks, that way if any presure put on hooks and tile cracks its still water tight, they got through plenty of spare tiles, glad they arent popular in the south west as they are pretty fragile.

Did one recently as a subby for another company, roofer put lead flashes under hooks, that way if any presure put on hooks and tile cracks its still water tight.

Excellent idea. Did they grind the back of the tile out or make good with lead? We've used both methods so far and I'm not sure which is best.

They used flat roof hooks, very thin depth but wider than normal, special order for this job, probably designed for slates, they dident grind any of the tiles or cut them, flashing was width of two tiles and when tiles went back down everything looked pretty flush. This was a bad example as apparentlyy customer was told 25 years before that tiles needed replacing as they were very soft, glad i was only doing electrics on this job.

its amazig how much better we feel about this job now ive had a bit of advice, the first ever install we did the only thing we were unsure of was the mounting system so think a bit of that uncertainty has crept in on this job i'm more than ready to take it on now, im sure ill be at the roofers yard come tuesday but its not the end of the world!! its nice to know we were on the right track as the anchors in mark's pictures are the same as we have for the job and installed pretty much how we were going to do em! cheers guys!

what were we worried about? all mounting is on, would have started getting panels on if they'd turned up!!!

off to roofers yard in the morning to replace the 10 we broke happy days!

This worked a treat. The only addition we made was to place a 200x200mm piece of adhesive flashing underr the cut slot and the bracket as a belt and braces approach to weather sealing. On some tiles you need to cut or notch the tops near the lugs to clear the brackets. A water cooled diamond tile cutter was fine and easy to use.

I also flash under the bracket and cut the tile so no lead can be seen and 100% water tight. So any pressure from the installer for the fatter sort of roofer/sparky can not break them.
But also even after the job is finish I have know ppl to go back from high winds putting to much pressure onto the tile.

Hi guys, just done a rosemary roof and we went through the tiles with hanger bolts, protecting the entry with mastic and grommitt 12mm hole for 12mm bolt. The key was to replace the old rosemary tiles with softer tiles which are under the panels. you can also use these tiles to replace the ones you will inevitably break! Hope this helps

Hi guys, just done a rosemary roof and we went through the tiles with hanger bolts, protecting the entry with mastic and grommitt 12mm hole for 12mm bolt. The key was to replace the old rosemary tiles with softer tiles which are under the panels. you can also use these tiles to replace the ones you will inevitably break! Hope this helps

From MCS 3002:
"All roof penetrations (e.g. for PV modules, cables or bracketry) must be durably
sealed
using purpose-made products capable of accommodating the movement
and temperatures to which they may be subjected.
Note: In all circumstances the building's weather tightness must be maintained. Holes drilled
through roofing felt and/or roof tiles/slates sealed with mastic or silicone sealant are not
considered durable

Thanks Guys, you are right in part, but the K2 system uses hanger bolts and brackets to fit as we have, mastic is a secondary sealant. Like the look of the K2 system and we will take that on board!

Reply to Advice for rosemary roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net