Discuss Advice: Mix of 1 and 3 phase on PME in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

the-moog

Advice on this installation please.

The existing house wiring is single phase to an internal consumer unit, with incomming 3 phase on PME in an external box which also contains the isolator which is 4 pole.

i.e.
Incomming (3Ph) - Main Fuse (3Ph PME) - meter (3Ph) - isolator (4 pole 3Ph) - tails - CU (1Ph)

This external 4 pole isolator is to be connected to the garage which requires 3 phase. In the garage there is a new distribution board. As well as a mix of single and three phase equipment, the garage also supplies external lighting pond pumps etc on single phase with the required RCDs.

So, question 1 is; should the isolator on the garage dist board be 3 pole or 4 pole, remembering that the systems is PME?

Logic tells me 3 pole so equipment metalwork still has earth continuity when the main isolator is on and the garage isolator is off.

Question 2 is; should the garage have an earth rod?

So, question 1 is; should the isolator on the garage dist board be 3 pole or 4 pole, remembering that the systems is PME?

Reg 537.2.1.1 says in a TNCS or TNS it only has to be 3 pole.

Question 2 is; should the garage have an earth rod?

Is the garage part of the main building or separate? If it is separate, how far away is it? How are you going to get the supply to the garage? Are there any extraneous/exposed conductive parts in the garage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice: Mix of 1 and 3 phase on PME in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

5 single phases to one huge property. Backup generator which can take about 106 amps split between 2 phases - 1 phase will be wired through...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for some advice following a botched 3 phase upgrade today. Some background: Commercial unit originally fitted out (4 years ago)...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, I have 7 static caravans to connect which need to be connected via TT 1. All the vans have a 30ma RCD main switch internally...
Replies
Views
Hi all.. Bit of a nightmare afternoon,, testing a caravan park TP&N panel board IR testing while board isolated before returning power (merlin...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, I have received conflicting advice about Main Isolator Switches and would appreciate forum member's help to plan a way ahead. Looking to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 155212
D

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock