Discuss Advice needed about earthed boiler in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucie 15

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning all,

We need a little bit of advice; we are looking to buy a property, and during one of the visits, the owner told us that he earthed his boiler himself as it was not done. He claims to have studied electronics engineering and other related things, but my partner is a bit dubious on how qualified that makes him.
The boiler has since been serviced many times, and the seller has provided recent gas and electrical certificates, which were both passed.
At my last visit, he showed me the earthing on the main fuse box (downstairs front room), and said the wiring had been done to the boiler (all the way to bathroom upstairs, back of the house). There is also an on/off switch outside the bathroom door. The wiring at least seems to have been well done, as I didn't see/notice it.
Should we worry about this and get it checked now, or is it likely that we can wait and get it check after the sale?
And also, what kind of prices would we be looking out in London, Croydon area?

Many thanks for your advice.

If the electrical certificate was an eicr, (electric installation condition report) and it covered the whole house, then nothing to worry about…
On the other hand, it may have been a certificate for only recent work, and be limited to maybe only one circuit.

have a look at the fuseboard, and see if it has any rcd’s. (A photo would be good, but obviously difficult if you’re not there yet)

A picture of the circuit chart off the certificate would be useful too, but you’de have to redact any personal info such as names, addresses, phone numbers etc of yourself or the contractor that did the cert.

I think the seller is just being overly keen to impress by saying he’s done the work, possibly to bring it up to regulations, but conversely, what he has done may not have been needed in the first place.

It is a bit vague "earthed the boiler" All boilers should be earthed by the fact the supply comes in with Live Neutral and Earth wire in the form of flat grey twin and earth cable. Why he felt therefore it needed earthing is a strange one. Perhaps he thought it need supplementary bonding. Ask him why exactly did he do it. Any piccys? Even so I imagine it wont do any harm. And as above really. Cost of a call out in London, £95 and upwards to just check it.

Thank you for replying so fast!
@Vortigern, I am not at all familiar with electrical works and/or boilers, so I am just quoting the seller! He said it as if we should have found it ludicrous that his boiler was not earthed...When he showed me the fuse box, he pointed at a green and yellow cable and said it was going all the way up to the boiler upstairs.

Thank you for replying so fast!
@Vortigern, I am not at all familiar with electrical works and/or boilers, so I am just quoting the seller! He said it as if we should have found it ludicrous that his boiler was not earthed...When he showed me the fuse box, he pointed at a green and yellow cable and said it was going all the way up to the boiler upstairs.
I have found the certficate and will attach it. There is also a picture of the fuse board, if that helps!

Attachments

• electricity.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
Hi and welcome.
I took a look at the report and it's generally a good report, but a few anomalies, mainly in the schedule of items inspected.
However, the earth bonding cables are in place according to the report, which is good.

One thing that would concern me is the main switch being a 100mA RCD. For 2 reasons. Reason 1 - it's not good practice to have one RCD protecting all of the outgoing circuits, because a fault to earth in one circuit will result in all of the circuits automatically switching off. Not ideal.
Reason 2 - more importantly, none of the circuits have 30mA RCDs. 30mA RCDs are very important, and the lack thereof should have been more clearly detailed in the observations section of the report. Moreover, without RCDs for certain aspects of the installation, there should be one or more C2 codes, which means the outcome of the report should read "unsatisfactory".

Aside from multiple errors on the Schedule of Inspection that main switch is BS4293 and not EN61008. I probably wouldn't put too much faith in the person that undertook that EICR.

Hi and welcome.
I took a look at the report and it's generally a good report, but a few anomalies, mainly in the schedule of items inspected.
However, the earth bonding cables are in place according to the report, which is good.

One thing that would concern me is the main switch being a 100mA RCD. For 2 reasons. Reason 1 - it's not good practice to have one RCD protecting all of the outgoing circuits, because a fault to earth in one circuit will result in all of the circuits automatically switching off. Not ideal.
Reason 2 - more importantly, none of the circuits have 30mA RCDs. 30mA RCDs are very important, and the lack thereof should have been more clearly detailed in the observations section of the report. Moreover, without RCDs for certain aspects of the installation, there should be one or more C2 codes, which means the outcome of the report should read "unsatisfactory".
agree. several C2s and C3s for lack of 30mA RCD protection.

Hi and welcome.

Hi, and thank you for your advice.

In the recommendations, they do suggest a dual 30mA RCD. would that help?

Well, thank you all for your quick replies, especially on such a brilliant Sunday!
Not sure what we'll do then, if we should pursue it before or after purchase...Now, I understand that I should have paid more attention during technology and physics lessons at school! ??

A C3 basically means “improvement recommended” which isn’t dangerous in any way but could do with being upgraded.
C2 means potentially dangerous…. A secondary fault could cause serious injury
C1 is immediately dangerous…. Think bare live wires hanging out the wall.

The fact that it has an rcd is better than none at all, but it’s not as sensitive as what is required nowadays, and as mentioned, it’s up front, which means a fault on any circuit leaves you with no power at all.

the board is quite old… and in your neck of the woods, I’d estimate £1k to have it changed…. (Possibly much more)
Having it changed may bring up other faults that are not yet apparent, so add x amount on top for repairs. Hopefully it doesn’t need fully rewired. 10 to 20k off the selling price should cover it…

I am sorry, but I have no idea, what you mean!!!
There is no requirement for an old installation to conform with the current regulations (with a few exceptions), as long as it was installed to the regulations in force at the time it was installed.
However, it is tested to the current regulations, so anything that conformed originally, but now doesn't, should be marked C3 as a minimum on the test results, and not just ticked.

Aside from multiple errors on the Schedule of Inspection that main switch is BS4293 and not EN61008. I probably wouldn't put too much faith in the person that undertook that EICR.

Strikes me as unbelievable that all IR readings are perfect....in such an installation.

I saw it immediately but dismissed it because it's meaningless without clarification.
I've since read the whole thing including schedule of inspections...and see exactly what you and others mean.

Keeping things simple as the original poster is wanting advice - the report says the actual wiring is 17 years old, and perfect in every single way. One of the tests (Insulation Resistance) says it's as good as the day it went in which would be rare. It's hard to therefore assess what testing was actually carried out as I'm not alone in suspecting some tests were skipped.

I'd be inclined to get a couple of quotes for a new consumer unit and ask for that amount off the purchase price. If there's an 100ma RCD as the main switch and it isn't tripping every minute then I'd expect the wiring to be healthy and serviceable. I'd therefore be a bit surprised if it needed a rewire.

You could say that you have had some electricians review the report and there is a consensus that it contradicts itself, and in particular if it only has 100ma RCD protection then some of the items shouldn't be ticked that are ticked. Therefore you'd like a quote for a new CU with 30ma RCD protection for all circuits.
I hope that is of some help.

Reading that EICR I can't help but think it is a work of fiction,
The test results show an R1 + R2 reading of 0.44Ω on the main switch / RCD whats that about, even if it was the Ze on another page that is given as 0.26Ω
Cooker supply is 10mm² with a 6mm² cpc when 10mm² T&E has a 4mm² cpc
5.11 Provision of additional protection by 30mA RCD is all ticked with no 30mA RCD installed

A good start would probably be another EICR done properly

Reply to Advice needed about earthed boiler in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock