Discuss Advice needed after electricity tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lois93

DIY
Reaction score
Can anyone help with an issue i have. My electricity tripped earier i think it was the extractor fan that blew. I have since turned it back on however now my oven will not come on. Neither will all the plug sockets upstairs and down. The only ones working are the ones in the kitchen above the worktops. Any advice much appreciated.

Is there an rcd in the fuse board covering several circuits? Check all the little switches that should be up, are up.

Post a photo of the fuse board if you’re not sure

Could be a multitude of things and needs inspecting and testing by a competent electrician, preferably one who has a recognised 'Testing and Inspection' qualification.

As above, obviously check to see all switches are actually in the 'on' position. If they are not, try to turn them on. If they immediately trip again don't try to force them up and get someone in.

photo of "fuseboard" showing breakers essential. then we can comment.

Is there an rcd in the fuse board covering several circuits? Check all the little switches that should be up, are up.

Post a photo of the fuse board if you’re not sure
Its a really old fuse box. Here is some pictures of it now. Im not quite sure what a rcd is.

Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• Advice needed after electricity tripped E11B2CD0-2A86-431D-B0EA-F2269066C357 - EletriciansForums.net
    E11B2CD0-2A86-431D-B0EA-F2269066C357.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Advice needed after electricity tripped FD863627-A602-48CC-9F90-4F2D7F4EE326 - EletriciansForums.net
    FD863627-A602-48CC-9F90-4F2D7F4EE326.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Advice needed after electricity tripped 445A4886-0CB1-48D6-B3E4-1D2168377E71 - EletriciansForums.net
    445A4886-0CB1-48D6-B3E4-1D2168377E71.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 44
Its a really old fuse box. Here is some pictures of it now. Im not quite sure what a rcd is.
The RCD is the white box with the test button.

I suspect it was a line-earth fault and it took out both a fuse and tripped the RCD. Those are rewirable fuses so theoretically it is just a change of wire, but in practice it is a little harder to do properly and while you are at it you really should check the correct wire is used in all of fuses, as some folk put in any wire to hand which can be dangerous.

It would be worth getting @telectrix over to sort that and check the circuit just in case. For boards like that I would normally change the fuses to plug-in breakers, it is far short of a proper change/modernisation, but it can be cost-effective for cases like this when there is an RCD that (hopefully!) is working correctly.

It's curious that the oven is affected as well as sockets, but until someone experienced pulls the cover off we'd be guessing exactly what's doing what...
Btw I'd snap @telectrix 's hand off if I were you.

Reply to Advice needed after electricity tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock