Discuss Advice needed after finishing EAL level 2... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on here.. Howdy! I've been signed up for a month, but I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

I've just finished my EAL level 2 diploma in Electrical installation. I've been doing this part time in the evenings over the past year. I've got my 17th edition and I've recently passed my ECS h&s test, but yet to apply for a card.

I'm at a crossroads with regards to which direction to take next. Basically my college only offers the EAL 7695 (level 3 certificate) domestic installers course as the progressive next step, and no full level 3 diploma. My research leads me to believe this EAL 7695 is the equivalent of the City and Guilds 2397. This course is to be run over 2 years, on a 2 nights a week.

I have a few issues with this, namely this EAL 7695 course seems to be offered elsewhere as one of these dreaded 5 week wonder courses. So is my college dragging out a 5 week course over a 2 year span? Or is the 5 week course heavily condensed? Either way, if a potential employer google searches a qualification that i've spent 2 years studying, only to find results online showing its achievable in a minimum time frame, it seriously devalues the course.

If I travel a bit further afield, there is another college that offers the city and guilds 2365 level 3 diploma over the course of a year. I intend to go to their opening day, and find out if my EAL qual will get my onto that course.

I'm not currently working in the industry, but I am trying to find a way in! Is the EAL course respectable? or shall I try my hardest to get on the 2365 course?

Really sorry for the long post, but as you can probably tell, I'm a bit stuck, and the next move is pretty important to me.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Reply to Advice needed after finishing EAL level 2... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net