Discuss ADVICE NEEDED: altering an american 120V appliance to use in UK 230V? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sclarke64

hi all, I'd like to purchase an american version/model of an electrical appliance to use in the UK.

the reason is because i'm getting it at an unbeatable price. but of course, it is manufactured for north american voltage at 120V and not the UK 230V. and the manufacturer warns in the disclaimer that the use of an adaptor or transformer will absolutely NOT protect it from a 220-230V, and it WILL be damaged if used at that voltage.

the product specifically is an air purifier for asthma & allergy sufferers. and contains a fan inside that has different speed settings.

so my question is, IS it possible to take it to an electrician to be somehow "altered" inside, in order to fit UK electrics?

I ask because the actual manufacturer is made & based in switzerland (it's an IQAIR purifier),so is made in UK/European voltage versions as well, at notably extremely high prices when bought new. However, as the product is second-hand/preowned, with no warranty, my guess is, the manufacturer will not want to know about my query.

i have never wanted to purchase something so much as this bargain, so i'd be really really appreciative to any feedback or advice! i'm not an electrician, and so know very little about the subject. please help!

Firstly some American homes have a 230v AC supply so you may find it's already dual voltage or a 230v option is available.

There's another issue, if there's a motor of some sort in the appliance it will be a 60Hz motor and may not run well on the 50Hz UK supply and a step-down transformer won't help at all because it doesn't change the supply frequency.

thanks, didn't know either of them points, do you think its possible to get the internal workings, lets say the Hz and/or voltage, altered by an electrician?

Probably not financially viable, if it has a 60Hz motor it would possibly need replacing with a 50Hz one. There are some motors that aren't to fussy about the frequency but it's a gamble and it might not last beyond a few minutes.

ok, so when you say financially viable, even though its a gamble, are these motors expensive?
also, if i got the voltage sorted, and put in a 50Hz motor, would there be any other reason why it might not last beyond a few minutes? thanks again.

it may work when connected to a 220/110v transformer.
is likely that the fan in it runs on dc supplied by electronics in the unit.
altering it for 220v is technically possible, but its not a job for an electrician, more for an electronic engineer,
and sourcing all needed parts (possibly made to order, not available in retail) may be a big issue.

Reply to ADVICE NEEDED: altering an american 120V appliance to use in UK 230V? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock