Discuss Advice needed: Economy 7 boiler switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jason63

I need advice in regards to connections to an electric boiler with two immersion heaters. At present, there is an on peak switch connected to one immersion and off peak switch connected to the second immersion. The first immersion is not working anymore. I want to connect the working immersion heater such that it works off peak and on peak using one switch. Should I use a double pole changeover switch?

The bottom immersion should be off peak and designed to heat the whole tank, and the top immersion should be used on peak and only really should be used as a top up ( using just the top element might not heat the whole cylinder). My advise would be to just change the faulty immersion or get a dual immersion heater that will replace just the top immersion, these are normally longer hence will heat whole cylinder properly.

Thanks. It's the top (smaller) peak immersion that is not working. Hence I wanted to feed the bottom (bigger) heater with a choice to run it with both peak and off peak lines. Do you see any downside of using a changeover switch?

All you need is a Horstman E7 controller , this operates the single element and has a timer all built in and also has a switch / countdown timer use as a boost should all the water be used, there is also an E7BX unit that can have both off peak and on peak supplies all connected and supplies either a single element or two elements , , this incorporates a changeover switch all built in and is made specifically for this use

All you need is a Horstman E7 controller , this operates the single element and has a timer all built in and also has a switch / countdown timer use as a boost should all the water be used, there is also an E7BX unit that can have both off peak and on peak supplies all connected and supplies either a single element or two elements , , this incorporates a changeover switch all built in and is made specifically for this use

Agreed. But surely just changing the element is much simpler and cheaper.

Re Reading this post again , it sounds as if its the on peak thats working and this will only be heating a part of the tank , so I agree its a case of element replacement other wise amount of hot water is restricted ...

Re Reading this post again , it sounds as if its the on peak thats working and this will only be heating a part of the tank , so I agree its a case of element replacement other wise amount of hot water is restricted ...

Tbh it looks like you have given this much more thought than I have. :)

I'm not an overly complicated person I just go for simple is best :)

Reply to Advice needed: Economy 7 boiler switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock