Discuss Advice needed for best course of action in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum... I am a electrical maintenance engineer... But recently I have been asked if I could rewire a 2 bed bungalow for a friend.. (mates rates)... My question is as an electrical maintenance engineer I am more than competent to do the physical work... But what legislation do I need to be aware of with regards sign off.. Building regs and part ect... Any advice would be appreciated... Can I do the work and get a third party to sign off?

Firstly I'd be sure you even want to do a job like this for "mates rates", there is a risk of being taken advantage of and being seriously out of pocket compared to what you'd earn for the same hours.

The work is notifiable to Building Control, some local authorities are more amenable than others regarding people outside a CPS notifying work. There may be quite significant fees (hundreds £), I heard from someone in the dept. of one LABC that they charge as much as they can get away with in the hope nobody asks to pay it!

The answer to your last question is yes but they have to design the installation, inspect it during installation and then conduct the final inspection and test.

You need to look at Approved Document P for your obligations with regards to the electrical installation and obviously check out the other approved documents to ensure you comply with other things such as the structural requirements (like where you can and cannot drill holes in joists etc.).

If you've got quals, have a chat with your local building control department and see what they would want from you to consider you competent. Many LABCDs accept quals as proof of competence which then allows you to submit an EIC, you probably have to notify in advance and pay but it would probably be cheaper than paying a third party.

I will be doing a bit of building work in my house, which will involve some notifiable electrical works. Don’t the 18th.

So I’m contemplating what’s going to happen. Would like to do it myself, but think I might end up ‘getting someone in’.

do it your sen. you know you want to and the part pee gestapo will never know ( you did it before 2005 ;););).

I have a couple of drums of white 2.5mm t&e with black and red if that's of any help?:)
[automerge]1587045535[/automerge]
As for mates' rates, I fitted a like-for-like extractor fan for a "mate" recently, and replaced a few lamps while i was there...about an hour, all in.
Did he pay me?
yes...
6 bottles of very fine Rioja!
I'm going to suggest he needs a full rewire next...

Last edited:
he could use brown/blue from 2004, you no tell - me no tell. ohbugger. I am Tel.

Indeed there is, as some masquerade as Rioja, are Rioja, but are not "fine", just average.

To be fair though, any free Rioja is just fine by me!

Blow mates rates! There is no such thing as mates afterwards.

Over fifty years ago I did a complete re-wire of a three bed semi that a mate had purchases in Sutton outer London. This included the garage.

Three months after I had finished he rang me up one Sunday morning and complained that I had made a mess of the job as the light in single batten holder in the garage did not work. When I got there I replaced the faulty cheapo bulb and all was well. No apology and he lost a mate. That was the Last time I did a job for a mate.

do it your sen. you know you want to and the part pee gestapo will never know ( you did it before 2005 ;););).

Well thats the thing. My old house, had an extension done circa 2009. Did the wiring etc myself, and had the worked signed off by a 'friend'. Well what he did was gave me an EICR. When the LABC chap spent came round to do the final inspection of the extension, asked for the electrical certification, along with gas for the new boiler. Had the gas done by another 'friend', who was actually Corgi registered, as was then. So he perused them both, but asked me specifically to email them the EICR. Crisps I thought, he smells a rat.

However, heard no more and got my final completion cert.

Fast forward nearly ten years, and decided to move. Replaced my still okay plastic CU, with a metal one, as I didn't want no funny negotiating business, on the house price. As I was in a Scheme then, issued myself an EIC and notified LBC. Whilst the sale was going through conveyancing, my solicitor (yawn, I know) gave me a legal document to sign, which said have you had any electrics done since 2005 yada yada. So I provided the EIC. Everyone was happy.

Advice to @Spark2020, do it if you feel inclined, but either approach your LBC and lay your cards (and quals) on the table, use the Third Party Certification process, or tell your mate sorry. Its not worth the hassle and as the initial responsibility will fall to you as a liability, you'll need some insurance.

I myself, might just get someone in, who I know is registered with a Scheme. Got other things to do, apart form slinging in some wires.

Reply to Advice needed for best course of action in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net