Discuss Advice needed - half of house out just in time for Xmas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not an electrician, but a competent DIYer.

The obvious answer to my situation is to get an electrician in, and believe me I have tried. But everyone seems to be unavailable to help until the New Year, even for emergencies, so it looks like DIY is going to happen, or no Christmas. We have kids, and the outlaws are supposed to be coming for Xmas day lunch.

An RCD has tripped, which has 3 circuits on it: Kitchen extension sockets and lights; all other lighting; cooker. Turning off all 3 MCBs still doesn't allow resetting the RCD. Turning off the main switch does allow reset, but it trips immediately the supply is turned back on.

I have a newish CU but old wiring. Nothing at all was happening in the house (around midnight last night) when the RCD tripped.

My plan of attack is:

• try to get hold of a replacement RCD (Hager 63A type AC) before everything shuts. Keep it on hand.
  • isolate the cooker in case that is causing a neutral to CPC fault
  • get into the CU and isolate the neutrals of the other circuits in turn (obviously keeping the MCBs at OFF), to see if any circuit has a CPC to neutral fault.
  • replace the RCD
  • sit and cry in the corner if none of that helps

If a circuit has a CPC to neutral fault, we'll just have to live without that one, and get a professional to fault-find in the new year. Can probably live without one of the circuits, and if it's the cooker, it will just have to be curry for dinner cooked on the gas hob.

Any professional advice would be gratefully received.

Before progressing with any of the steps, unplug everything on the socket circuit - physically remove the plugs - incl. all those hard to get at - and switch off any fused spurs. You might just be lucky and find it is an appliance fault.

Especially noted for causing issues: central heating (pumps, valves, etc), appliances involving water (dishwasher, etc), anything at all outdoors (pond pumps, etc).

what he said ^^^^^. looks like a N-E fault. if you take the N's of the suspect circuits out , notint which hole they each belong to, then try the circuits 1 at a time ( N in then MCB on) should narrow it down to 1 circuit. oven elements are notorious.

I am in north warwickshire
buy me a beer and I will help you do some emergency fault finding.

I will bring along a couple of useful bits of test equipment and more than a bit of knowledge.

p.s. Your initial post is well thought out and has a better understanding of fault finding than some electricians I have dealt with in the past.

I am in north warwickshire
buy me a beer and I will help you do some emergency fault finding.

I will bring along a couple of useful bits of test equipment and more than a bit of knowledge.

p.s. Your initial post is well thought out and has a better understanding of fault finding than some electricians I have dealt with in the past.

Nice offer that James. Make sure it's a decent beer though!

Before progressing with any of the steps, unplug everything on the socket circuit - physically remove the plugs - incl. all those hard to get at - and switch off any fused spurs. You might just be lucky and find it is an appliance fault.

Especially noted for causing issues: central heating (pumps, valves, etc), appliances involving water (dishwasher, etc), anything at all outdoors (pond pumps, etc).
Especially the Christmas Tree lights or any other festival additions.

Reply to Advice needed - half of house out just in time for Xmas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net