Discuss Advice needed for garage power job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Advice needed! Ive been to see a job for garage power, the previous electrician has taken a 4mm on a 32amp B MCB protected by a 30mA RCD. But hasnt done anything with, apart from the fact there is no protection and its T&E all straight forward. My ownly question is do i gland straight into a socket and then have a fuse spur to supply a light OR can i install a 2 way board protected by a main switch or does it need to be a RCD main switch.

Advice needed! Ive been to see a job for garage power, the previous electrician has taken a 4mm on a 32amp B MCB protected by a 30mA RCD. But hasnt done anything with, apart from the fact there is no protection and its T&E all straight forward. My ownly question is do i gland straight into a socket and then have a fuse spur to supply a light OR can i install a 2 way board protected by a main switch or does it need to be a RCD main switch.
Why didn't the original Sparky finish the job???

What do you meant by no protection?
What protection do you think a main switch will provide?
Do you understand what an RCD is, how it works, and how it will work if you install another one in series with the existing one?

As soon as you contain it you can no longer use a 32A protective device. I would pull back into the house then use swa from this point.

i would where it comes through the brickwork on house straight into ipbox sealed to allow swa via a cantenary wire with metal zips into either a small consumer unit dont forget to check whether you need to slam a rod in as tt for external outbuildings, you wont need rcd board in here if its already protected at source due to which trips first,

What do you meant by no protection?
What protection do you think a main switch will provide?
Do you understand what an RCD is, how it works, and how it will work if you install another one in series with the existing one?
As in twin swinging in the air.
I do indeed understand adding an RCD in series work. I was just asking if youd fit an rcd again in the garage
[automerge]1578155382[/automerge]
i would where it comes through the brickwork on house straight into ipbox sealed to allow swa via a cantenary wire with metal zips into either a small consumer unit dont forget to check whether you need to slam a rod in as tt for external outbuildings, you wont need rcd board in here if its already protected at source due to which trips first,
Thanks mate, customer wants in buried, but everything else is spot on thanks mate
[automerge]1578155448[/automerge]
As soon as you contain it you can no longer use a 32A protective device. I would pull back into the house then use swa from this point.
Thanks mate

If your (well, the previous sparks) installation method, requires additional protection, then the existing tw&e will require the RCD at source.

Does the existing CU allow you to do either?

Reply to Advice needed for garage power job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock