Discuss Advice needed on damaged cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ponyboy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, some advice on the damaged cable on the picture posted would be greatly appreciated.

I want to know the factors on how a wire can get exposed like this? How can one make it safe and other information like how old the wire looks?

Thank youAdvice needed on damaged cable IMG-20230302-WA0004 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic is out of focus, but that looks like an old rubber cable that has simply deteriorated with age.
Hopefully, it's not in use, and has simply been left by some spark in the past, who was too lazy to remove it when it was disconnected.
This cannot be assumed , however, so ideally it needs someone who knows what they're doing to investigate further.

Pic is out of focus, but that looks like an old rubber cable that has simply deteriorated with age.
Hopefully, it's not in use, and has simply been left by some spark in the past, who was too lazy to remove it when it was disconnected.
This cannot be assumed , however, so ideally it needs someone who knows what they're doing to investigate further.

Thank you so much.

The wire is disconnected so not live. Apart from age, do you think there could be any other factors?

Nothing at all unusual to find old VR cable in that condition, or, apparently looking quite serviceable, only to crumble to dust when moved, like in the farmhouse I rewired about 12 years ago. All working fine, but move it, and you were left with two parallel copper wires a few mms apart.
It would have been installed 60+ years ago, so, like any other rubber of that age, will have deteriorated.

Edit: Looking the pic again, now on my laptop instead of phone, it looks like it might even be braided cable, so even older than that.

Nothing at all unusual to find old VR cable in that condition, or, apparently looking quite serviceable, only to crumble to dust when moved, like in the farmhouse I rewired about 12 years ago. All working fine, but move it, and you were left with two parallel copper wires a few mms apart.
It would have been installed 60+ years ago, so, like any other rubber of that age, will have deteriorated.

Edit: Looking the pic again, now on my laptop instead of phone, it looks like it might even be braided cable, so even older than that.
This is EXTEREMELY helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: DPG

And sorry what is vr cable? This is a cable coming in from the main service and is supposed to be connected to the consumer unit (disconnected now though)

Only braided cable I know of these days is the flex that irons are supplied with. Reason is, for most other purposes, various plastics with superior properties are available. VR is still used for flex.

Reply to Advice needed on damaged cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock