Discuss Advice needed on qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I left school in '93 and got on to apprenticeship in electrical installation. I didn't finish the course for reasons I don't want to go into but I did carry on working as an apprentice/electricians mate until '98. So I did my first year at college and some of the second year but didn't get the qualifications in the end. Now after a long absence I'd like to get qualified to do domestic electrical installations. So I have experience in the trade but not the qualifications. I've looked at local colleges but none run night classes so that isn't an option for me as I work during the day. I looked online and found a few different courses but could fathom out what I actually need so I phoned NAPIT who told me that I could do a domestic installer course NA-FS1 which would enable me to work on domestic installs. Is this the best way to go? Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

3.5 days of training that costs £1068, will be recognised by no-one apart from NAPIT, will probably be teaching you to suck eggs, and will leave you no better off in terms of experience or qualification ?

Well that's my opinion anyway.

You would be better off taking what quals you already have down to your local college and having a chat about your best route to get properly qualified starting in the coming September.

3.5 days of training that costs £1068, will be recognised by no-one apart from NAPIT, will probably be teaching you to suck eggs, and will leave you no better off in terms of experience or qualification ?

Well that's my opinion anyway.

You would be better off taking what quals you already have down to your local college and having a chat about your best route to get properly qualified starting in the coming September.

Ok thanks. I thought NAPIT were a legit organisation. Isn't the competent persons scheme government endorsed?

Ok thanks. I thought NAPIT were a legit organisation. Isn't the competent persons scheme government endorsed?

The scheme is government endorsed yes. They all are. But that's a separate thing to this course they are offering.
The course they are offering is basically of their own devising and is recognised by no-one else. It's for those wantig to join their scheme and nothing else. They also state it only has a life span of 5 years ! Ridiculous.

Have a read up and see if any of it makes any sense. See what the course covers and see if you think it's worth £200 a day to you.
Electricians Certificate of Competence Course - NAPIT Training

They assert a few times that this course is aimed at highly skilled and experienced electricians. That's basically to cover their own backside after you figure out it's not actually teaching you anything.

If you go on ANY course that describes itself as a domestic installer course you will be leaving yourself well short of being trained as an electrician.
Competency comes with proper training and experience, not 5 days getting told what you probably already know. If you don't already know it, you're not going to learn it in 5 days.
Please don't join the masses of guys left pocket raped and no better off in terms of prospects within this industry.

Last edited:
Well it seems the local college does indeed run an evening class in electrical installation (although not listed on their website) so it looks like this is the way to go for me. I spoke to the tutor at college and he said I had to do a course for 2 years (2365) and then an NVQ level 3 so I can get a JIB card. Does that sound about right?

Well it seems the local college does indeed run an evening class in electrical installation (although not listed on their website) so it looks like this is the way to go for me. I spoke to the tutor at college and he said I had to do a course for 2 years (2365) and then an NVQ level 3 so I can get a JIB card. Does that sound about right?
yes.

technically you need to be employed to do the nvq.

as part of the nvq you will do Level2 and 3 tech cert then the logbook.

by doing the 2365 2/3 you dont need employment till your ready for the nvq.

yes.

technically you need to be employed to do the nvq.

as part of the nvq you will do Level2 and 3 tech cert then the logbook.

by doing the 2365 2/3 you dont need employment till your ready for the nvq.

Technically? So is there a way round this? I mean I'm self employed currently, but in order to do an NVQ I would have to give that up and work for someone else and then when I've done my NVQ, jack the job in and go back self employed.

domestic electrical installations
I think its C&G 2365, Now im not sure with all your training if they will let you just JUMP on to Level 3,
There are other Education Groups (City and Guilds (C&G) EAL and Logic Cert) C&G are the ones that are Rated High and been around longer, but ALL REAL QUALIFICATIONS need a QCF Number, means you can take it ANY WERE really, not a IN-HOUSE qualification like NAPIT offered.

NB (I had to edit because i forgot) 17th Edition Regs 2382 (again EAL C&G Logic Cert, all do this course) C&G i would suggest.

You can Also added on with 2394 Initial Verification and 2395 Periodic, these two courses (C&G Numbers) should be easy to do after doing the 2365 (I did 2330 what was replaced by the 2365) EAL i would suggest personally.

Now if you want JIB GOLD then you would need to work with someone to just to prove you can do it, also the AM2/3 Test (that i dont know about)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice needed on qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock