Discuss Advice needed on unconnected earth wire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you don't know any sparky friends or family then you must bite the bullet and get a sparky out. Wouldn't be a lengthy job and you'll know you'll have a safe install once he susses what's what. As previously mentioned it looks like main earthing conductor protecting your property not connected.
You say you had new CU in 2016? If it is main earth and not a supplementary......go put the lotto on.
Please keep us updated.....
PS could you take wider screenshot photos as it might make more sense from a distance. It looks like your water is bonded but not your gas?

Wow, someones made a boo boo there
There are a ton of these around and for a long time as well - last one I did it wasn’t connected for 20 odd years and the earthing was via pipework bonding. Zs of 2.70 ohms with bonding going down to 0.24 or so when simply connected!
Agree though that you do need to call the same spark if possible and see the shade of red on their face.
As Pete picked up though, that earth braid looks sparkling new so maybe some DNO work but as Littlespark came back - that earth conductor end has never been squeezed!
As Toyah once sang “it’stha mysthery oh it’stha mysthery”!
Looks as though that braid goes to that Henley block which it makes even easier for a connection and test.

earthing systems are complex with many variables involved,
not to mention lots of rules and regulations,
don't guess or take anything for granted,
get a proper electrician in to check everything
in relation to your earthing,
that way you can be ensured it is safe and code worthy.

This often looks to me like a new pme has been provided but gets left up to the home owner to get it connected to rest of the house installation.

There is a massive council housing estate near me which since built relied solely on the 6mm water bond as means of earthing.
Some houses have been updated to pme but the ones I have seen are like above. The earth comes off the head to a mounted block but never connected to the old fuse boxes.

Seems to be the norm these days but not neceseraly a new issue.
some years back i was called by a freind for some advice whose parents had just been informed by a boiler engineer that he could not carry out any remidial works on there boiler as the first thing they do is plug in a circuit tester and he had found that they had no earth connection to the boiler circuit so being the nice person that i am. I dropped everything (f. o. c.) i might add, to investigate thinking that possibly the earth connection in the fcu may have come loose and dropped out.
Anyhow i soon descovered that not only did they not have any earth connection on that circuit (which on visual inspection looked fine) they had no earth connecion anyware in the property. on further investigation i found that the main earth to the property had originally been sweated to the lead water pipe that originally fed the property.
The said lead pipe had been been disconnected and replaced with a polypropolyne pipe some 15 years before and therefore no earthing connection had been present from that day forward.
So it was a case of "sorry Mr and Mrs X i have to disconnect your supply as i am duty bound to inform you of the pontential dangers and the requirment that is needed to rectify. However i then noticed that not only had they had there water supply upgraded they had also had the suppliers facility (DNO meter) upgraded and F__c me there was an installation card with a date on it which supperceeded the date of the water pipe change. Bang had them by the balls.
I proceeded to contact the supplier and paint the picture of the situation and dangers this poor unsuspecting couple had been thrust into and left in for so long only for the lady at the other end of the phone to attempt to casually dimiss as someone elses problem.
"Well" i informed here as i had requested her name and the name of her supervisor "i was going to isolate the supply because it was now my responsability to ensure that the property was left safe. But should the customer turn it back on and as it was one of there engineers representing there company that had been to the property to change the meter and left it without conducting any test (as was apparent) then if the customer was to switch the supply back on and if anything should happen and if there should be a fatality then my dear it will be you and your supervisor and indeed your CEO that i shall be giving evidance against in court"
Instant result she immidiatly refered me to her direct supervisor who advised me that i should isolated as intended and there will be someone there shortly. not only did they arrive within 4 hours they supplied a generator for the use of and disconnected the supply then the following morning a team of engineers rocked up complete with diggers and installed a new split concentric cable to the property and had them back up on mains supply complete with a test cirtificate and reinstated footpath before the end of the day.
And all this free of charge for someone i considered to be a freind, only for three years later him to refuse me a favour which wouldnt cost him a penny. C__T. "No more mister nice guy!

I think the football was about to start, when they NEARLY finished that install.
on a more serious note, get that checked as a matter of urgency and to repeat the advice above, leave it well alone, the floating earth cable could become live and be dangerous to touch.

Reply to Advice needed on unconnected earth wire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net