Discuss Advice needed on wiring issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Solly26

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, let me start by saying in no way am I a qualified electrician but do have some basic knowledge from having worked as an apprentice in the past. I am not confident in carrying out any electrical work so I will not be doing any electrical work. I am here for advice.
Now thats out of the way, let me tell you what the problem is.

I had an appointmet to have a smart meter fitted. When the guy turned up he tested my sockets and said I have a fault on my circuit. All the sockets in my home were showing the same fault. He mentioned the polarity is reversed and could not go ahead with the installation until I get the fault rectified.

After he left I decided to check the wiring on my sockets and they seem to be fine, I then had a look at my consumer unit as I was curious. All the wiring looked correctly wired and as it should but I spotted the Tails going in to the consumer unit were reversed. (you can just about see see the colour of the tails in the picture)

I would like to know if this is what is causing the fault I am experiencing and if this is dangerous? Everything seems to be working. I have been living in this property for the last 7 years but am worried now incase a fire breaks out or risk of electrocution. Please can you advise me what I should be expected to pay to get this rectified? There are so many ripp off merchants out there and I dont want to get ripped off for something that seems a simple fix.

Any advice will be most apprecited.

Thanks

SollyAdvice needed on wiring issue 20220101_093512 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
From the picture it would seem likely that you do in fact have a reversed polarity.

the largest danger in this setup is to Anyone working on the electrical systems encountering unexpected live cables.

providing o thing else is found, I would expect that to be corrected and tested within the hour for any competent electrician.

There’s not enough detail in the photograph to show.
Yes, the blue and brown tails are wrong way round at the mainswitch, but it might be same at other end.

Can you photograph a wider shot showing fuse, meter, consumer unit etc.
Cheers for your input mate, I have attached more photos.

Attachments

• Advice needed on wiring issue 20220101_113812 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220101_113812.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Advice needed on wiring issue 20220101_113957 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220101_113957.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 124
From the picture it would seem likely that you do in fact have a reversed polarity.

the largest danger in this setup is to Anyone working on the electrical systems encountering unexpected live cables.

providing o thing else is found, I would expect that to be corrected and tested within the hour for any competent electrician.
Thhanks for chiming in James

Hi all, let me start by saying in no way am I a qualified electrician but do have some basic knowledge from having worked as an apprentice in the past. I am not confident in carrying out any electrical work so I will not be doing any electrical work. I am here for advice.
Now thats out of the way, let me tell you what the problem is.

I had an appointmet to have a smart meter fitted. When the guy turned up he tested my sockets and said I have a fault on my circuit. All the sockets in my home were showing the same fault. He mentioned the polarity is reversed and could not go ahead with the installation until I get the fault rectified.

After he left I decided to check the wiring on my sockets and they seem to be fine, I then had a look at my consumer unit as I was curious. All the wiring looked correctly wired and as it should but I spotted the Tails going in to the consumer unit were reversed. (you can just about see see the colour of the tails in the picture)

I would like to know if this is what is causing the fault I am experiencing and if this is dangerous? Everything seems to be working. I have been living in this property for the last 7 years but am worried now incase a fire breaks out or risk of electrocution. Please can you advise me what I should be expected to pay to get this rectified? There are so many ripp off merchants out there and I dont want to get ripped off for something that seems a simple fix.

Any advice will be most apprecited.

Thanks

SollyView attachment 93560

Thhanks for chiming in James
Mixed brands ,RCD upside down ,missing seal on cut out looks like it’s Diy

Like others have said, you've got reversed polarity due to the meter tails. It does need sorting out ASAP.

The who consumer unit needs sorting out with the correct RCD and circuit breakers.

I'd recommend that you employ an electrician to carry out a condition report on the whole installation. It may be that the consumer unit is an indication of the safety of the installation as a whole.

If you own the property, get an electrical inspection and test done as soon as possible. If the condition of the consumer unit and associated wiring is anything to go by, there may well be other potentially dangerous things in other parts of the installation.

If you are a tenant, the landlord is bound by law to ensure and maintain a safe installation. And since 2020, has to have an inspection and test done every 5 years as a minimum.

Like others have said, you've got reversed polarity due to the meter tails. It does need sorting out ASAP.

The who consumer unit needs sorting out with the correct RCD and circuit breakers.

I'd recommend that you employ an electrician to carry out a condition report on the whole installation. It may be that the consumer unit is an indication of the safety of the installation as a whole.
Beat me to it...

Thanks for all your input, I'm gonna find a local electrician to check the whole installation as some of you have pointed out there could be other faults by looking the way the consumer unit was wired. It has been this way since I moved in to the property and no work has been done on it since. I would never have known there was a fault had it not been for the British gas guy that tested my sockets.

Thanks again and I wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year.

Solly

Reminds me of my inspectors story of the kitchen fitter killed when he turned off the cooker mcb with mains reversed

Comes up here too about only an mcb being needed to isolator a cooker

Of course no electrician is going to get himself killed cos we never touch anything til it's proven dead locally

Hmm… no wonder the meter monkey walked away.
Actually had an interview for smart meter install here
Was shocked at the bare minimum checks , basically just a straight swop and possibly a polarity check at the meter location

My basic premise going in to the interview was that if the installation wasn't safe you would walk away as happened here

I would like to know if this is what is causing the fault I am experiencing and if this is dangerous? Everything seems to be working
Yes, the swapped tails is the cause (as seen in the later photos).

Yes, it is dangerous. In fact it is VERY dangerous (C1 fault, like exposed live parts) for the obvious reason that you could get a shock from the neutral cables, and for the less obvious reason then in the event of a N-E fault there is nothing to limit the current beyond the 60-100A supply fuse! So it presents a very high risk of a fire in even from damage to an appliance cable (as 13A plugs are only fused in the L path).

Circuits with RCD protection still have some means of disconnection, but the fault let-through energy of a RCD is very high as it takes typically tens of milliseconds to disconnect (far more than MCB or fuse on high current fault) so the fire risk is still very, very real.

Reply to Advice needed on wiring issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock