Discuss Advice needed please...12v battery charger and solar panel with charge controller.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bikerbutch

Hi guys, thanks for letting me join, id like to ask someone who is in the know with electrics, its not "auto electrics" but its 12v (on a caravan) ..... so i guess auto electrician us best place for this rather than DIY? .... Sorry if its not!
I have just bought a 40w solar panel to charge a 110ah leisure battery.... to go with it i bought a cheap ebay solar charge controller 10amp (CMP12).....(http://www.elvet.co.rs/Solarni kontroler 3 KEMO.pdf)
Now the only thing were going to run is lighting which is mostly LED, water pump and a dvd player and occasionally charge the laptops with a 500w inverter.....
My caravan is old, it doesnt come with a battery charger when on electric hook up.
So if i wanted to wire up a small say 1-2 amp trickle charger just to back up the solar panel to keep us up and running, maybe something like this >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271675515594…
Could i wire this in parallel to the solar panel, straight into the solar controller to utillise the controllers cut off when the battery is full and always having a small charge available even at night etc?
As far as i can see, im not loading up the controller as its 10 amp rating, and the charger is 1.3 amp, solar panel 40w so maximum ampage will be 2-3 amps, so combined less than 5 amps...
If i cant do that, how can i leave the charger connected whilst still being able to use things like lighting and water pump?
Any help, suggestions or advice appreciated, were students so doing this on a very tight budget, im quite handy on the spanners being a former hgv fitter but anything past basic to intermediate electrics is beyond me smile emoticon

Re: Advice needed please...12v battery charger and solar panel with charge controller

should work.
plug the charger parallel to solar panel.
make sure that solar panel has got a blocking diode installed to prevent charger back-feeding the panel.
if no then wire a diode in series between solar panel and charger input.

Reply to Advice needed please...12v battery charger and solar panel with charge controller.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net