Discuss Advice Needed Please : Consumer Units in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

welshandproud

Hi,

Wonder if you can help - I've just had a quote from my local electrician to remove my existing consumer unit and upgrade for (I quote) "a new 12 way, 17th edition unit, c/w individual rcbo protective devices per outgoing circuit"

I've been quoted a material cost of £187 for the unit, however by coincidence in B&Q earlier I noticed what looked like the same thing (12 way 17th gen consumer unit) for £87. Across the web I've found similar units for between £80-100 and worryingly none near to the quoted £187...

In addition I've also been quoted an additional £21.50 for cable, clips and fixings

Could somebody advise if the quote is genuine? Like most people I don't mind paying the extra if that is what's needed to do the job but do mind if I am being ripped off...

Cheers
Phill

For a start I'm not sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Individual RCBO's are different to a 12 way 17th ed board.

Individual RCBO's IS the way to go.

£21.50 for cable and accessories - who knows but a small cost.

More importantly please make sure that the sparky is part of a competent persons scheme, that they provide you with an EIC on completion and confirmation that notification under part P of the building regs is made.

Hope this helps.

Please be aware you are responsible for notifying the works to your LABC not the spark doing the job. Although you can ask if they can do it for you through one of the schemes that are available.

Please be aware you are responsible for notifying the works to your LABC not the spark doing the job. Although you can ask if they can do it for you through one of the schemes that are available.
With respect Dilb - its the person undertaking the work - so its the sparky. IMHO

Hi,

Wonder if you can help - I've just had a quote from my local electrician to remove my existing consumer unit and upgrade for (I quote) "a new 12 way, 17th edition unit, c/w individual rcbo protective devices per outgoing circuit"

I've been quoted a material cost of £187 for the unit, however by coincidence (my.:censored:!)in B&Q earlier I noticed what looked like the same thing (12 way 17th gen consumer unit) for £87. Across the web I've found similar units for between £80-100 and worryingly none near to the quoted £187...

In addition I've also been quoted an additional £21.50 for cable, clips and fixings

Could somebody advise if the quote is genuine? Like most people I don't mind paying the extra if that is what's needed to do the job but do mind if I am being ripped off...

Cheers
Phill

The B&Q CU (gotta love 'em) will be at best with mcb's only. RCBO's will add 20-30 quid per circuit.....£187 for a complete unit with RCBO's sounds reasonable to me. The £21.50 is probably for upgraded tails and possibly a DP block.

Some DB changes require the existing cables to be extended. I always take cable and materials to do this just incase. Along with tails and DP blocks just incase.

£21.50 for miscellaneous items seems very reasonable to me.

Reply to Advice Needed Please : Consumer Units in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net