Discuss Advice needed please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bazfalty

Hi,

I've just come across this forum which looks great so a quick Hi for a start.

I'm 33 and for the past 4 months worked as an electricians mate but on new large apartment blocks so I dont do much wiring just pulling cables in fixing truncking on walls and stuff like that, So I dont have no knowledge of how it all works. But I want to get qualified and as its been asked a few times before I just wanted to know which way would be best as everyone is in a different situation. I really dont want to take 2 years at night college doina a course so I was looking at either these 2 options.

1: doing a home study course C&G 2330 level 2 for ÂŁ595 thern followed with level 3 for ÂŁ695. then doing my 17th edition, C&G 2391 and C&G 2377 whixh should come to another ÂŁ1000.

2: Doing a 4 week full time course which include Module 1 - Basic Electrical Generic Module (5)
Module 2 - Domestic Electrical Part 1:- Domestic Wiring Circuit (5)
City and Guilds 2382- 16th Edition Wiring Regulations (3)
City and Guilds 2377 002 - Portable Appliance Testing (1)
City and Guilds 2391- Inspection & Testing (4)
EAL Domestic Electrical Installer (2)
this would cost ÂŁ3000 then do my part p after.

An electrician as said to me that the second option is a con and I wouldnt be able to get work. But The money to pay dosent bother me I'm just looking at the best way. I estimate that option 1 would take around a year of home studying and practical is this right. Where option 2 is quicker but less qualified.

Sorry to be long winded but its a big decision to be made.
Thanks.

Homestudy for 2330??? Didn't know this was available. Is it? How would you have anything explained/shown to you that you didn't understand?

Just my opinion...

Anyway, from what you've told us, what with working on new builds and the fact that money is not a problem. I'd go for option 2.

Option 1, besides what I mentioned in the first paragraph would be more suited if you wanted to cover a broader scope (Commercial/industrial AND domestic) though I'd look into college NOT homestudy.

Oh, and option 2 being a con?

Think Shakey ay have something to say about that! :)

Seriously though bazfalty, good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted with your progress.

Anybody else care to offer some advice?

Thanks for the reply

Career Essentials - Construction & Building Industry Training. thats is the homestudy course for the 2330. As I have a baby due in 6 months time I'm thinkingthe homestudy may be a little hard. So I agree that option 2 might bethe best it's just some poeple have said that it's a waste of time on the IET forum I looked at the other day. The 2 electrictricans that said it was waste of money are both nvq3 trained and JIb so I just think they say that there way is best, and it may be best for a young person finishing school who has the time it dont always suit the needs of everybody. theres only about 8 months work left on the project I'm on so wanted to get some qualifications on board before I finished.

Well your gaining experience everyday.
As for the college/condensed learning "debate."

1 day a week at college for 2 years (Academic years that is)
4 week course, 5 days a week.

Not much between the 2 is there? Not only that, with these condensed courses, the lessons stay fresh in your mind, no week break between each lesson.

Reply to Advice needed please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock