Discuss Advice needed regarding P.I.R Outdoor security Light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

i currently have a outdoor light that comes on only when i flick the switch.

i would like to install a motion sensor light instead.

my question is can i use the existing wiring setup and switch, and just keep the switch in the on position so the light will come on when it senses motion?

thanks.

It’s not the best set up but I’d say yes. Although be wary if intending to use the light for security purposes i.e. detecting a burglar etc as there is the potential for someone in your house to accidentally turn off the switch; effectively making the security light redundant.

It’s not the best set up but I’d say yes. Although be wary if intending to use the light for security purposes i.e. detecting a burglar etc as there is the potential for someone in your house to accidentally turn off the switch; effectively making the security light redundant.

They could wago the connection & change the faceplate to a blank to stop that from happening.
If its a multi gang switch then they could wago the connection & change the switch faceplate for one that has one less switch.

You can indeed but maybe remove the switch and put it in a connector behind it so no one can turn it off accidentally if it is a security light

fit a 2 gang module. rocker switch for manual and a key switch to isolate.

thanks for the advice everyone, i was hoping you could help me out once again. i installed the light first night worked as normal sensor picking me up, however today i changed the settings on the light so it would come on 10-15 seconds instead of 5, i changed the settings temporarily to come on during the daylight so i could see if the time increase was enough. i tested this once or twice tweaking the timer, then all of a sudden the light stopped coming on. i put it down to the daylight so i set it back to night, however it is now not coming on with the use of the sensor during the night. I can flick the light on and off with the switch from inside the house however on occasions this doesn't work and i have to wait about a minute before i can turn it on and off again. when the light does come on with the use of the indoor light it stays on about 15 seconds so i know the timer part of its working correctly.

Could this be the switch wiring setup or a problem with the light itself specifically the sensor?

thanks again

another thing i found odd, on a separate piece of paper in the box had a diagram of a certain component and it was illustrating it had to be pointed upwards instead of downwards, however when i opened the casing it was pushed sideways behind the motion sensor, so i left it there because there didn't look like much room too point it up could this have any bearing on the problems i am having the light is blooma from B&Q thanks

another thing i found odd, on a separate piece of paper in the box had a diagram of a certain component and it was illustrating it had to be pointed upwards instead of downwards, however when i opened the casing it was pushed sideways behind the motion sensor, so i left it there because there didn't look like much room too point it up could this have any bearing on the problems i am having the light is blooma from B&Q thanks
Could it be a dusk to dawn sensor?

if they are cheapo crap , like under £30 per fitting, that,s probably your answer.

Some of the lights with built in PIR's have a built in overide system where by if the switch is operated it will bypass the PIR so the light can be used manually.... if so read the instructions depending upon the brand it may give you a switch sequence (e.g turn off and on 3 times in 10 seconds) and this will the return it back to the PIR

hanks everyone for advice it is a cheap 30 quid light, i have returned it and got a replacement if it stops working again i will return it and get a totally different brand of light (more expensive.)

one thing that did happen during the installation i put the wires in a plastic bag while i went to get the new light when i come back i flipped the breaker switch and sparks come from it like an arse hole i forgot the wires were touching. have i done any serious damage to anything as all the lights in house work i just noticed the connections were slightly burned the plastic covering the wires.

Reply to Advice needed regarding P.I.R Outdoor security Light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock