Discuss Advice needed - Removing socket outlets in a conduit system in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MKSparks

I am currently doing some work in a school and have two socket outlets that I need to remove as the wall they were originally on has been removed as part of the building works.
The sockets are ran in a steel conduit fed up from under the floor, I have no problem chasing out the floor to install a conduit box of some kind, however I am trying to determine the best way to terminate the existing conduit in order to maintain the CPC as the ring main has no earth conductor.

The two socket outlets in question are approximately 3 meters apart so I could channel out the floor, remove the section between them entirely and try to install a new section with a through box at each end to reconnect the circuit, the problem I've got is mainly cutting a thread on the old conduit, Is there any way to terminate without threading? a push-fit style connection that would maintain earth continuity? open to any suggestions...

Thanks

there are push fit boxes available. there used to be controversy about whether they complied regarding continuation of cpc, but i think that's sorted now. was a thread a couple of years ago "treadless conduit"

I get the impression he has two conduits next to each other rising vertically from a solid floor where the wall once stood. He is looking for a way to soundly join the two without hacking up the floor to the nearest threaded joint, and get it flush with or below finished floor height.

I get the impression he has two conduits next to each other rising vertically from a solid floor where the wall once stood. He is looking for a way to soundly join the two without hacking up the floor to the nearest threaded joint, and get it flush with or below finished floor height.

Reason I was asking Dave was to establish if a pipe exists between the two redundant points and is there a ring leg passing through each? Or maybe it is tubed in a ring and redundants could be pulled out/back to where they come from and then split the ring to 2 radials at the db.

Boydy

If the verticals are coming off boxes just put a blanking plug in?
If its solid probably have to cut it back and put a length with a running coupler in.

Pics would help the visualisation :)

You have not said if sockets are on a ring. If they are can you not remove the links between these two sockets and split the ring into two radials.
Providing the way it is wired allows for it. ie- ring wired not looped through fittings boxes.

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I have only visited the job once so far and didn't take any photos, when I go back I'll make sure to take some pictures.

There are two conduits rising at each location, however you can see the conduit bend as it enters the floor so I will need to chase out some of the floor to expose a straight section below floor level whatever I do. As for the suggestions to remove that section of the ring and re-run it - the two sockets in question are now in the middle of a large open corridor, I believe (not investigated thoroughly yet) that one leg goes off down the corridor and the other in the opposite direction near a stairwell, so basically to alter the route would mean a 30-40 meter run and include chasing walls in two areas of the school not being touched, whereas the floor already needs to be screeded where the old walls were taken out and new lino is due to go down anyway, so I wont have to make the repairs to the floor myself.

As for the way the existing ring is ran; there's an in & out at one of the sockets but an additional loop at the other, which would lead me to believe the return leg runs past that second socket. I could try to establish how many socket are on the circuit, because if it's only the one at the stair well that would be made dead by shortening the ring I may get away with just blanking that point off. I doubt it feeds any classrooms.

Like I say, I'll dig a little deeper to try and establish exactly how the circuit is ran and what it's feeding, I was mainly just curious initially as to whether there was a simple way to remove socket outlets installed in this way :)

Reply to Advice needed - Removing socket outlets in a conduit system in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net