Discuss Advice Needed - Wiring 4 Downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdamW

Hello all,

Im new to the forum and after some advice.

I am replacing a single light fitting (ceiling rose) with 4 downlights. The downlights are supplied with Scolmore Click Flow connectors. On each connector are 4 terminals (live, neutral, earth & loop). The L, N & E connect to the female flow connector attached to the downlight itself. The loop does not connect to the downlight connector.

My question is - How do I wire in the 4 new downlights?

I have made a picture of current wiring setup (LHS of image) and what I think the new wiring should look like (RHS of image).

• How do I wire the switch in?
  • And what is the loop terminal for?

I have numbered/lettered the terminals to make easier for anyone wishing to offer advice.

Any advice you are able to provide will be greatly received.

Adam

1.png

Welcome to the forum AdamW, I've given you early approval to speed up response, when Admin' get a few minutes spare you will be given DIY access and the thread relocated, this will not effect any post already made in the thread. :)

Sorry but if you don't know a simple lighting circuit arrangement you are not competent to carry out the work safely.
Cut the holes and ask an electrician to carry out the connections, probably an hours labour for a local sparks and you will know it's safe.

The loop terminal is the L1,2,3 on your LH diagram the live is the switched live on your LH diagram.

Sorry but if you don't know a simple lighting circuit arrangement you are not competent to carry out the work safely.
Cut the holes and ask an electrician to carry out the connections, probably an hours labour for a local sparks and you will know it's safe.

Got to agree here. There won't be enough space in the first connector for all the cables needed, so a separate junction box would be best (of an appropriate type in an appropriate location.)

A good electrician will know what type to use and where best to locate it for future access.

Edit: BTW, how many forums have you put this question up on?

Last edited:
Hi Gutterball, thanks for the help.

So below image is correct wiring?

2.png

I appreciate it would be easier for me to get an electrician in. However, I like to learn and do as much as possible. The work will be certified by an electrician of course.

Handysparks, just here an another forum. That ok?!

There are few electricians that would certify a circuit installed by someone else as this would transfer the responsibility on to them as they would be declaring that they installed the circuit.

I would also mention that you might want to consider that LS1 is (switched) live and what colour conductor would be used for switched live.
An earth would be good in Ea but I assume that this is just a diagram error.

Hi Richard,

Im planning to use Black for switched live.

Yes of course and earth will be connected to Ea. I left out of original wiring too intentionally.

Murdoch - There's going to be a number of ways to wire the circuit, taking into account the use of junction boxes etc. But I would expect there to be common theme or best practice. So ill use this thanks.

Just so that you are aware of the colours required for electrical wiring in the UK:

The old colours that are no longer used but are still present in many houses are perfectly fine to leave in place but any extension or change to the wiring must be in the new colours.

Old colours
Live - Red Neutral - Black Earth - Green

Live - Brown Neutral - Blue Earth - Green and Yellow
New colours

Where a multi core cable is used and a specific colour wire is used for a different purpose then it should be sleeved in the correct colour at every joint or terminal. The earth cable should not be re-purposed, but a bare earth cable must be sleeved in green and yellow sleeving.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. I did already know the old/new colours but appreciate you taking the time to give advice.

Is the wiring in 2nd picture correct?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. I did already know the old/new colours but appreciate you taking the time to give advice.

Is the wiring in 2nd picture correct?
looks correct to me. the top block in your pic would be a junction box of some sort, incorporating the switching. personally, i prefer a wagobox with wagos inside.

Hi Telectrix. As it stands that top block is the first 'flow' connector for the first downlight. I could add in a junction box of some sort before hand to reduce the number of connections in this connector I suppose.

Hi Telectrix. As it stands that top block is the first 'flow' connector for the first downlight. I could add in a junction box of some sort before hand to reduce the number of connections in this connector I suppose.
if there's adequate room, you can use the 1st connector as a JB.

Reply to Advice Needed - Wiring 4 Downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net