Discuss Advice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking for the best method to run a cable from the CCU from the Garage to the 30ma RCD in the Garden.

I am going to order some HiTuff rather than SWA as I can’t get the paving slabs and stones up. Also I’m not sure about drilling into the concrete posts. I have attached some photos for reference.

Advice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 39187536-0C95-4338-81B9-5C7B048D4B10 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 4E95844B-6C5F-4F2A-835F-98E5ED19D726 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden EBD72D5A-3A7C-4622-817B-19EB5AD14A69 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 837B921D-9A48-4A73-85E3-E52390C6E700 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 070DDA2E-BD40-4E12-A270-4F17FCB518B7 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 3B99A865-A0F1-4FD8-8C63-427BADC0B178 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 39187536-0C95-4338-81B9-5C7B048D4B10 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 4E95844B-6C5F-4F2A-835F-98E5ED19D726 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden EBD72D5A-3A7C-4622-817B-19EB5AD14A69 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 070DDA2E-BD40-4E12-A270-4F17FCB518B7 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden 3B99A865-A0F1-4FD8-8C63-427BADC0B178 - EletriciansForums.net

I’m looking for the best method to run a cable from the CCU from the Garage to the 30ma RCD in the Garden.

I am going to order some HiTuff rather than SWA as I can’t get the paving slabs and stones up. Also I’m not sure about drilling into the concrete posts. I have attached some photos for reference.

View attachment 60798View attachment 60799View attachment 60800View attachment 60801View attachment 60802View attachment 60803View attachment 60798View attachment 60799View attachment 60800View attachment 60802View attachment 60803
The correct size of cable cleats spacing as per BS 7671

You don't have to bury SWA!

Is the supply already on a RCD? If not you would be well advised to go for SWA and run it as for the hituff stuff. You need a proper gland to connect the armor to earth at the supply end, but if you get 3-core SWA then you can make use of a simple plastic gland at the far end as one core provides the CPC for the load.

cleat SWA to the one of the horizontal timbers on the fence.

I was looking at conduit but I would have to fix the conduit and saddles to the facias due to the door on the garage. Then fixing along the fence as suggested.

Don't drill those concrete posts. They can easily shatter. Even if they don't the hole you drilled can let in water which can lead to shattering.

Can anyone recommend where best to buy conduit and fixing from. As I’ve seen mixed reviews from Screwfix and Toolstation. Also seen someone on another forum say that you can use a heat gun to do bends etc.

Can anyone recommend where best to buy conduit and fixing from. As I’ve seen mixed reviews from Screwfix and Toolstation. Also seen someone on another forum say that you can use a heat gun to do bends etc.
Any Electrical wholesaler will stock OVC conduit, and you do not need a heat gun to bend it a bending spring of the correct size will suffice.

My uncle has said that he also has some Arctic Flex in both Blue and Yellow. The blue is 1.5mm and the yellow 2.5mm would that be okay to use? As I’ve bought 20mm Conduit. He did say that the 2.5mm FP200 would be fine as it’s current rating is 24a and is protected by a 32a RCD. Just wondering would the Arctic Flex be any better?

Reply to Advice on best method to run a cable for power in Garden in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock