Discuss Advice On Best Route For New Electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

*Gaz*

-
Reaction score
I'm after some advice on what the best route could be for becoming an electrician at the age of 30. Apologies if this has already been asked on here countless times or in the wrong forum thread!

Currently, I'm going through a restructure at an office job and can potentially take redundancy - So I am thinking (and hoping) that I could continue to finish my electrical studies with view to becoming a self employed electrician finding my own domestic work and perhaps eventually setting up my own electrical contracting business / company.

I already have a good level of knowledge of electrical principles and practical experience due to starting the level 3 NVQ in 2011 but unfortunately I was unable to finish the course after the first year due to other commitments that arose. I have also completed various small first fix projects in my own home (recess spotlights, additional sockets, outdoor pir lights etc).

Now I am willing to completely focus and redo the level 3 NVQ (with AM2 and Testing and Inspection certification) - mainly as a refresher and to actually gain the certificates and become a 'competent' electrician.

Can anyone recommend a good route to get into the industry? Would it be worth me maybe contacting some local electrical companies to offer some voluntary weekend work as an 'electricians mate'? Until I leave my office job or is this a silly idea?

Is it unrealistic to become fully qualified and then be self employed to do my own domestic work straight away? Is there enough demand? Or am I best working for a company first to gain further experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Gaz

Hope all goes well for you mate.
Have you tried the search engine on the forum for what you want? I know there is a lot out there about your subject.
Why do you want to go down the Domestic route? Wouldn't the Commercial or Industrial side be better?

Hi Gaz
The only stand alone NVQ at present is the City and Guilds 2356 - 99. You will need to evidence good working practice over a minimum of three on site assessments.

You will also need to build a Portfolio of Evidence or Site Diary to show that you have covered the full range of knowledge and performance outcomes

Hi

It really depends where you got with your last studies and what you were taking, the 2356-99 is not really suitable for you and is aimed at those with a level 3 qualification already, those who are in the industry and looking to gain a formal qualification, the 2357 is the stand alone NVQ and is aimed at apprentices or those new to the industry. It is unlikely that if you didn't finish the first year you will be given any accredited prior learning by C&G, did you take any exams if so check with them. I took a load of exams previously and they refused to accept them as they said they were too old, you will probably be the same as a lot has changed in the last five years. Look at the City & Guilds 2365 L2 or 3 course booklets, these you could then convert to a 2357 by way of a bridging unit and on site experience.

All I would say with regards to the last part of your post is that it is a massive jump from doing your own DIY jobs to full scope electrician, not impossible but a lot of hard work, expense etc if you actually want to eat and pay your bills.

You might consider C&G 2397-30 level 3 ? (qualified supervisor). You should have at least two years prior experience. But with your prior learning and various items you may be accepted. I have been installing for forty years and had to get the papers to prove I can do what I do. So that was a good starting point. It allows you to do domestic installation. There were a couple of guys on the same course (one moving over from being a nurse ! and no prior experience !) They got paid work to build their portfolio with local electricians. You could then go onto 2394 for condition reporting as well ?

Reply to Advice On Best Route For New Electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net