Discuss Advice on Biomass.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Berneray

Morning guys....

Looking for some help. We're about to start an install on the stables of a large old country house. As part of the project they need to upgrade their old oil fired boiler. Doing that plus the 10kwp pv system will get them into Band D. They current need three fills of the tank a year and I'm just wondering if biomass might be an option.

Although we are Gas Safe installers we have never done a biomass install.....Is it feasible to install a biomass in the time left for FIT....I know biomass gets RHI not FIT but the Band D depends on installing a new boiler....

Has anyone any experience in biomass and the £950 grant. What would be best advice for our customer......Large listed house, stone built walls, 15 bedrooms, original single glazed sash windows sitting in 100 acres of ground....A new oil fired boiler......or a new biomass one....

Any thoughts from you guys great fully accepted as usual.....

biomass could defo be an option, If there is a business run from the property it could get the commercial RHI payment 8.1 p unit pay back typical for commercial installs is 2-4 years depending on how much additional work for the boliers were required.
i am currently working on a project for a collage where the figure drops to 4p unit there pay back equates to 1.29 million pounds over the term. If the Bolier is under 45kw it must be installed under the MCs scheme to get the RHI payment remember if its domestic the rhi payment doesnt come into play next summer and we dont know the figures yet pm if you whish.

regards
Wiggly

- - - Updated - - -

Also if stables are still using horses the stable waste can be used as fuel for the boilers.
regards
wiggly

would depend where the boiler is sited, the system it's on (sealed, O/V) the fuel store position if using pellet or chip etc.If it's a listed building then you may require planning etc

It wouldn't be a case of 1 in one out. Not sure what appliance would be suitable for burning hay though.

Reckon you'd be hard pushed to beat the FIT cut. What about chucking in a cheap oil condensing boiler and look at upgrading to biomass after?

Just had a look at their website, interesting idea, no mention of efficiencies or MCS approval though. They are also not permitted in smoke free zone which would indicate a certain amount of incomplete combustion/lower efficiency/higher maintenance.

Not sure I like the idea of an incinerator in a domestic setting!

Reply to Advice on Biomass.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock