Discuss Advice on Bonding for Gas Cert in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

GMAN27

DIY
Reaction score
Thanks all - looking for some perspective on this....
Friend had complete GCH system installed for a renovated rental property and was all certified at the time. At the annual inspection for the gas cert, the checker stated the bonding was in wrong position and quoted 100 to move it (which was done). Now, a year later, same checker and same problem quoted.... now 250.
Any advice appreciated.....

sounds like he is at it. Gas regs recommend that the bond is within 600mm of the gas meter or the pipe entering the house but that is just a recommendation.

same old story. BS7671 states that the pipe/s should be bonded within 600mm of entering the property (or wherever practicable). gas "engineers" want to bond at the meter, even when it's outside. if the bond complies with BS7671, then give him 2 words, 2nd word being "OFF".

addd.a pic. would help.

Is this rental property in the U.K?

But in any case I would be asking what position was the bonding originally fitted.
Then where, (for 100 ?) was it moved to.
Where is it going to be put now (at a cost of 250 ? ) and why was it not put there last time.
And for whatever country this is in, to quote the regulations for the position of Gas bonding.

Thanks All. The house in in UK but I'm overseas at the moment and difficult to challenge it.

Its an old house so would expect the gas pipe isn't yellow plastic.

I doubt the regs have changed in the last couple of years (please let me know if they have) so I cant see that anything was actually required or moved in the first place.... just feels like fraudulent invoicing to me and having the nuts to try it on again......
I will try to get more facts

Thanks again!

Reply to Advice on Bonding for Gas Cert in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net