Discuss Advice on connecting wall oven to existing 240v wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DarrellW

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all: First post from a DIY'er.

My daughter, who lives in a Dallas, Tx suburb, has asked me to connect her new electric oven. Her previous oven was gas. I asked her to send me a pic of any outlets in the cabinet opening once she removed the old oven. (See Pics Below) The house was built in 1965, and also has a gas stove-top situated to the right of the wall oven. The wiring to the outlet next to the pictured box are black/white if you're curious. The outlet at the stove top isn't currently accessible. I'm in California and unable to test anything at this point, and only have a few days there next week in order to get this and several other things done. So hoping to get as much info in advance of my visit as possible to avoid SNAFU's, and wasted time. So my questions are...

(1) Am I correct in assuming I have 3 hot wires to work with, Red, Black, and Blue?
(2) Which 2 are the most likely candidates for my 240v connection.
(3) Can (should) I pigtail off of them to a surface mounted box for easier access?
Any advice is welcome. Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• Wire connections oven 1.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Wire connections oven 2.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hello all: First post from a DIY'er.

My daughter, who lives in a Dallas, Tx suburb, has asked me to connect her new electric oven. Her previous oven was gas. I asked her to send me a pic of any outlets in the cabinet opening once she removed the old oven. (See Pics Below) The house was built in 1965, and also has a gas stove-top situated to the right of the wall oven. The wiring to the outlet next to the pictured box are black/white if you're curious. The outlet at the stove top isn't currently accessible. I'm in California and unable to test anything at this point, and only have a few days there next week in order to get this and several other things done. So hoping to get as much info in advance of my visit as possible to avoid SNAFU's, and wasted time. So my questions are...

(1) Am I correct in assuming I have 3 hot wires to work with, Red, Black, and Blue?
(2) Which 2 are the most likely candidates for my 240v connection.
(3) Can (should) I pigtail off of them to a surface mounted box for easier access?
Any advice is welcome. Thank you all for your help!
In your picture I have no clue what that blue wire is and it’s purpose. If I hade to guess I would say the black and red is your 240vac. I don’t see how we can help you with just the pictures. If you installed an outlet for the 240 vac you wouldn’t be able to make fit in that old school box

Reply to Advice on connecting wall oven to existing 240v wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net