Discuss Advice on Continuity Tests before Elecsa Assessment. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markthespark

Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me out please.

I have worked as an Electrician for around 8 years now but have never been too familiar with testing.

I have decided to start working for myself and have chosen to join Elecsa.

But before i do that i need to brush up on my testing skills, and i remember it by using the CRIPPER method.

Can anyone recommend which Testing books to buy?

Continuity of protective conductors
- Equipitenial Bonding must be a maximum reading of 0.05 Ohms (Disconnect at meter end and connect wander lead to connection at gas or water and test resistance inbetween)

- Continuity of Protective conductors (r1 r2) On a lighting or Radial circuit connect L and CPC at CU and test between L and CPC at the furthest point
(is this correct? or should i be testing at every point on a lighting circuit?)

Ring Final Testing
Ring continuity - Test between L & L, CPC & CPC, N & N (L & N should be identical readings where CPC should be 1.67 X r1

Cross connect L & N on opporsite cables and test between L & N at every socket (should be the same) (Reading should be half of Ring continuity test) r1 + rn/4 =

Repeat between L & CPC. r1 + r2/4 =

Insulation Resistance

Am i right my saying to test insulation resistance on a lighting circuit with transformers/dimmers in the circuit, i should test L & N together between CPC and record on the test sheet as LIM?

Also when testing a circuit with no sensitive equipment what is the min ohm reading that is considered acceptable when testing insulation resistance?

Polarity

DEAD - When testing for polarity on a lighting circuit do you have to connect L & CPC at the CU and test between L & CPC at every switch, similar to the r1 r2 test?

LIVE - What is the correct method for testing for polarity on a live lighting circuit? or other radial circuit such as a shower circuit?

Many Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I use CRISPIER

Continuity of CPC's including main and supplementary bonding (Equipotential has now gone)
Ring Continuity
Insulation Resistance
Electrical Separation (SELV, PELV, FELV)
Polarity
IPFC (Prospective Fault Current)
Earth Fault Loop Impedance
RCD

Could throw in phase rotation before EFLZ if three phase.

I use Guidance Note 3, that's all I ever use.

Cheers
Ash

GN 3 and the OSG are pretty much spot on

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-I...607X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331641122&sr=8-1

This is a fairly decent book, if you don't look at the calculations too closely, but the testing guidance is pretty much spot on

1. There is no maximum value for the continuity of bonding conductors that is a guide and a value you "should" get, but if it isn't then it could be a guide, especially if your can't verify the run, that there is a problem, on your certificate you just put a tick to verify continuity, do not put a value

2, Test at every point, that is what the assessor will want to see, that includes switch lines on lighting circuits, and strappers on 2 way

3. Yes if you have 2.5/1.5 T + E the cpc should be 1.67 times greater, be aware though if your testing an installation that is from the 60/70s you may have a 1.00mm CPC, so the value will be higher.

4. It's not half it's a quarter as you shown on your equation.

5. You can not have a LIM on a EIC so don't put it. If you have a lighting circuit that does have a transformer/dimmer then you should disconnect it. If you can't just test as you say between L-N together and CPC and then on your SoTR put a line through the L-L test, do not put LIM down

6. The minimum value is 1 Mohm and anything below 2Mohm, should be investigated. The 1Mohm value is a regulation the 2Mohm is a guidance in the GN 3 and the OSG

7. Dead polarity test will be confirmed with you R1 + R2, please note do not use r1 + r2 for anything but a ring final circuit

8. live testing you should prove your tester with either a testing box, or a know source. Then test your main switch and isolate test to see if the load side of the switch is dead. Then re-test the tester on that source or test box to make sure it is working. Then when you do your ZE test, you can then also do your live polarity test.

Last edited:
Thanks you very much for both replies. I shall order a copy of GN3.

The reason i asked if i have to test every point is because i am going to change the CU in my house and use this to show the assessor.

The problem is, nearly every room in my house has downlighters so R1 R2 testing at every point will be a nightmare and so will the insulation resistance tests as i dont want to disconnect every transformer and dimmer switch.

Also what is the best way to test DEAD polarity on all these downlighters will he want to see me unscrew every small lighting JB which the downlighters are connected to?

Is there an acceptable way around this as im not actually installing the lights im just installing a new CU and testing the outgoing circuits?

I was getting confused on the half and quarter thing as the equation shows it as being a quarter but on this testing video i was looking at on youtube it mentions half Ring final circuit test - YouTube this is shown 4 minutes 23 seconds into the video.

Can anyone explain this please?

Many thanks again.

Thanks you very much for both replies. I shall order a copy of GN3.

The reason i asked if i have to test every point is because i am going to change the CU in my house and use this to show the assessor.

The problem is, nearly every room in my house has downlighters so R1 R2 testing at every point will be a nightmare and so will the insulation resistance tests as i dont want to disconnect every transformer and dimmer switch.

Also what is the best way to test DEAD polarity on all these downlighters will he want to see me unscrew every small lighting JB which the downlighters are connected to?

Is there an acceptable way around this as im not actually installing the lights im just installing a new CU and testing the outgoing circuits?

I was getting confused on the half and quarter thing as the equation shows it as being a quarter but on this testing video i was looking at on youtube it mentions half Ring final circuit test - YouTube this is shown 4 minutes 23 seconds into the video.

Can anyone explain this please?

Many thanks again.

Your changing your CU and therefore you only have to test your work. If you run a new cooker circuit it, you would not need to test the R1 + R2 of the lighting circuit would you ...............so don't do it now.

So your EIC should just reflect that , extent of installation covered by this certificate will be CU and that basically is that.

Because you are putting in new protection devices and so therefore changing the characteristics of the circuits there are tests you need to do.

On the EIC that is pretty straight forward and on the SoTR you will need to provide Ze, which for some reason is Zs at board now, and Ipf or fault current, as well as your polarity.

Now technically all you need to supply for your board change is the new Zs so that it meets the new protection device disconnection times, as I'm sure this will be an RCD then your Zs for those circuits is 1667.

I'm sure you will, as it is a CU change do IR testing to make sure you don't have any problems, though again there is no need to put these in, I always did as it was done, and why not.

As for R1+R2 well as I said that will prove your polarity, but it is not the only way you prove polarity, as for continuity well you can do the R2 test if your that bothered , but again there is no need to do any of that.

Finally you will though have to do the RCD 7 tests and log them.

Thanks again, i was under the impression that if i changed the CU i would have to do a full test on all the circuits, but this makes things easier.

Firewalshy
I always do a full set of tests pre cu change other dont its upto you. He wont want you to drop every downlighter as long as you can explain how you would do it . Im with elecsa out of 3 hour visit spent about 15 at site looking at job.

Not sure I agree ( if reading correctly ) a consumer unit change is a large alteration and all circuits should be fully tested and eic completed.

Here is a good debate Ezze ................why should you test the circuits fully?

You only test your work, which is basically upgrading those circuit protection characteristics what as that got to do with R1 + R2 of a circuit or r1 + r2 of a ring final circuit, say you tested a ring and found it wasn't a proper ring, would you FOC repair it, or ignore and carry on with you CU change.

As far as I'm concerned your doing a CU change not a EICR. By doing a CU change you are certainly not leaving the installation less safe.

Bottom line though is, experience and knowledge. If your walking into an installation that is 60 yrs old, is VIR and have the old Bakelite accessories, then your going to do a lot more work and testing, and you should price accordingly. On the other hand you walk into an installation that is 15yrs old, no obvious signs of any additions or alterations, you do the work and testing and accordingly and price to suit.

yes i see what your saying but partp would require an eic, as your changing the protective charachteristics, but it can open up as you say a can of worms but that still dosent change the full range of tests to be carried out

Reply to Advice on Continuity Tests before Elecsa Assessment. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock