Discuss Advice on Electricians Course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rich27

Hi all.
I was hoping for a little advice.

I would like to start on an electricians course so I can become properly qualified.

Yesterday I attended an interview at Barry Collage (I live in Cardiff) and to say it was bad was an understatement. I found that the interviewer was not really interested in getting me on the course because of my age, I am 35.

According to the prospectus :

[h=3]Course overview:[/h]This full-time course provides craft training with an emphasis on Electrical Installation.
The training will fall into the following categories:
a) An education programme
b) Training in the following areas, which will provide skills in:
  • Construction Site and Workshop Health and Safety Standards
  • Establishing Effective Working Relationships
  • Basic Electronic Assembly Wiring
  • Principles of Electro Technology
  • Basic Electrical Wiring and Circuits
  • Basic Electrical Installation Theory
You will be learning in a number of different ways; which will include practicals in the workshop and theory in the classroom.
[h=3]Entry requirements:[/h]
  • One GCSE at grade D including Maths at grade D or above
  • Interview
  • Initial / entrance assessement
[h=3]Teaching and assessment:[/h]
  • Coursework assignments including practical assessments and online exams
[h=3]Qualifications:[/h]
  • City and Guilds 2330 Modules 201 and 202
  • City and Guilds 2330 Modules 206 Practical Assignments
  • City and Guilds 2377 (Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment) PEO1/020 Level 1
  • Essential Skills Level 1/2 (Application of Number, Communications and Information Technology).

And at the interview the Interviewer said "This course is for 16 to 17 year olds, then its into an apprentiship"

Irritated and annoyed is the best way to describe how I am feeling.
I told the interviewer that I have several years experience as I used to work for several sign company's and I have installed many signs and sorted out the power for them (then my work checked by a qualified fellow worker) All I want is the relevant City and guilds qualifications so I can then start employment.

Can anyone suggest what course I need to complete so I can get the correct qualifications.

Thanks
Rich

Hi there,

I passed my courses last year after 3 and a bit years...

I started with-

-2330 lvl 2
-2330 lvl 3
-2377 (PAT)
-2382 - 17th Regs
-2392 - Fundamentals of ins and test
-2391 - Insp and Test

I went to Dudley College in West Midlands.
When I started I was 23 but I went with a couple of other chaps which were 28 & 29 so can't understand them saying its for 16-17 year olds, on my 2330 lvl 2 there were approx 40% under 20 and the rest over, with people of late 40's in there (I think, without offending).

I mean you could try another college as I had an interview at my first college (Stourbridge) load of rubbish the course was full and they were going to contact me as they were going to run another course, did I hear anything - NO...

But Dudley have a good reputation for the electrical side.

Anyways enough babling..

My understanding is that they were going to get rid of the 2330 but decided against.. You can still take the course but I beleive now you may have to do an NVQ lvl3 as well, as with the 2391 thats changing as well..

But sure the C&G site will tell you more.

Hope i have helped a little lol, more of a life story me thinks..

Cheers
Ash

Reply to Advice on Electricians Course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net