Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Advice on fireproofing in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dp6ai

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

My architect has ben told the following by building control:
"also confirmed that any light penetrations for recessed light fittings will require fire resistant hoods to prevent fire passing through the light fittings into the gallery floor void over"

In that space i have a number of standard down lighters, i'm intending to use these:
Robus® Fixed Round Mains Voltage Fire Rated Downlight White 240V | Screwfix.com

some bathroom down lighters, using these:
Robus® Fixed Round Mains Voltage Fire Rated Downlight White IP65 240V | Screwfix.com

I also have a standard pendant in one of the bedrooms, which i need to fireproof but none of the products i've seen seem to be fire resistant.

Can some one let me know what i should be using for this and also if the above products seem ok?

thanks

DP

S

sjm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both of the downlights are fire rated, so there'll be no problem with those. If the hole for cables into the pendant fitting is less than 30mm there should be no problem with that either.

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
My architect has ben told the following by building control:
"also confirmed that any light penetrations for recessed light fittings will require fire resistant hoods to prevent fire passing through the light fittings into the gallery floor void over"
DP
This statement is really saying that the fire rating of the ceiling must be maintained. The use of the words fire resistant is erroneous since whilst the fire hoods may be somewhat fire resistant the main function is to either swell up and seal a penetration or react to heat in such a way as to prevent the further passage of fire through a ceiling penetration generally by forming a non combustible smothering mass.
A separation between a ceiling and a gallery void would normally (but do check the regulations) be a 30 min fire rated ceiling. i.e it must prevent the transfer of fire from the room below to the void for 30 minutes.

Fire rated downlights are rated at a minimum of 30 min and can be 60 or 90 mins rated. So the ones you specify should be fine for the purpose.

If you have a pendant where the cable passes through the ceiling this will not normally affect the integrity of a 30 in fire rated ceiling, however if it is required to seal this penetration then you can do this with an intumescent sealant, this will swell and block the penetration in case of fire. Then fit the pendant on top.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Advice on fireproofing in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom