Discuss Advice on Fuse box please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

plumbman

Hi there. I am fitting a new bathroom for someone and I know i will need an Electrician for the Fuse box aspect of the job. The current box shown has only 3x 30amp fuses:eek:. Will I need to replace the whole fuse box under current regulations requiring RCD, or can the sparky just fit a 45 amp fuse for a 9.8 kw shower. If anyone can give me an idea on price to expect and the work required, id be very grateful. Cheers, Nick.

Attachments

• sparks 011.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 44
Hi there. I am fitting a new bathroom for someone and I know i will need an Electrician for the Fuse box aspect of the job. The current box shown has only 3x 30amp fuses:eek:. Will I need to replace the whole fuse box under current regulations requiring RCD, or can the sparky just fit a 45 amp fuse for a 9.8 kw shower. If anyone can give me an idea on price to expect and the work required, id be very grateful. Cheers, Nick.

Depends what the budget is.

Best option: Have a new board installed, have everything tested & any faults corrected.

Worst option (but still meets Regs): Have a second board installed for the new shower, and split the tails.

You are aware that any work in a bathroom is notifiable, so adding downlights, shaver points, circuit for the shower etc, then LABC should be informed.

Edit: As for price, that depends what you're having done, cable routes etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Where about in the country are you?

Which ever way you decide to go (whole new board or additional one for bathroom circuits) you must ensure that all earthing and bonding is compliant with current regs. If not then it must be brought up to scratch as part of the electrical works.

I agree get a new fuseboard do not do it peacemeal as economically its worth it in the long run.

Also remember it is not the cost of the board plus a couple of quid for the guy doing it the job wil need
1, Surveyed and initial testing
2. Installation of the board
3.Testing and certification of the whole installation
4. Job done (Correctly and Safely)

thanks blu sparks. I am in Edinburgh. Have been working with a guy who does all the electrics but was a plumber not a sparky, i dont want to do the same, would rather hook up with a good sparky for such jobs, although I am very good at electrics, but not trained or qualified. Trying to get my Part p. thanks again.

Plumbman
I live in Edinburgh so I take it you are working here temporary as you say you are going for your Part P ?

The reason I ask is Part P is not required in Scotland

Oh my ... well that makes my anger at OLCI construction training even greater than before. Seriously? So how does a plumber in Scotland qualify to do basic electrics without going for the whole 17th ed...
Thanks for the heads up.

Nick Giles,

Oh I have always lived in Edinburgh. I got in to bathrooms and kitchens with a qualified friend, and wanted to train myself to back up the practical skills which I have earned the hard way, we were not cowboys, I work alone now.

also if you click thanks at the bottom of each reply it will save you thanking everyone individually :)

bonding and rcd main issues, if just adding a rcd for shower then i would supp bathroom also.

Plumbman he is a devinitive reply I got

Quote:-
One thing to note, however, is that the scheme in Scotland is not compulsory only preferable and local authorities have different options. If a client applies for a building warrant and states they are going to use a certifier of construction, they get a reduction on the cost of the warrant and the certifier only has to download a certificate of construction from a special website (after they are fully registered on the scheme) and this goes off to building standards to complete the job. The local authority just check the validity of the certificate and cannot ask for anything else). Their second option if use of a certifier has not been indicated, building standards will look for a BS7671 test sheet supplied by a SELECT or NICEIC member and this includes PIR’s. However, their third option is “Reasonable Enquiry” and this is what you are being quoted by Edinburgh Council.

Also Quote:-

Part P in England will never come into Scotland as its different government legislation. The Certification Scheme is under the Building Scotland Act 2003

Hope this helps

Reply to Advice on Fuse box please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net