Discuss Advice on getting back into the industry in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening Guys,

I started training as an electrician when I left school at 16 but left the industry behind before I was fully qualified. At the time I wasn't really enjoying the work and thought I knew better, naively leaving the 9-5 behind to 'travel the world'.

I completed my C&G level 2 and 3 straight out of school, I also passed my 17th edition exam. I started working for a company towards the end of my second year at college and continued to work for them for about 14 months in total. During this time I also completed about 90% of my NVQ lvl 3 (I believe it was just the site visits I needed to complete.) The work was mainly commercial, including a fair amount of shop fitting.

I'm now 25 years old, in crippling debt and without even transport looking to get back into the industry. I realise I'm not the most attractive prospect to a employer but does anyone have any advice of how I should proceed?

I'm not even sure how I should describe myself, as a Mate, Apprentice, Improver or maybe even a Labourer? I feel like in the 5/6 years off I've forgotten a lot not having put it into practice straight out of college. I'm also thinking that my best bet is looking into local domestic installers at this point, seeing if anybody needs a hand - however with my limited background in domestic, I'm just not sure.

Having read through this forum a fair bit, I think my route would have to be:

- Find a job as a Mate/Labourer.
- Complete my 18th Edition.
- Complete my NVQ 3 from scratch.
- Complete my AM2 once I feel confident I'm back up to scratch.

This is starting to turn into a rant, which I was trying to avoid! So I'll leave it here but any advice would be greatly appreciated it. I'm feeling pretty hopeless at the moment.

Cheers.

Hi Chris
Well, you have made the first steps which is realising what you want and asking for help.
I think maybe start off as a labourer and work yourself back in and up again..
This way you won’t set yourself up for failure by dropping back in at the deep end.
You will soon pick it all back up again, if commercial work is your background then maybe that’s where you should start off.

Should be able to find a job as a sparkies mate

But don't be afraid to labour or do other trades

Work has been a bit quiet of late so I have just spent the last few weeks painting offices for an old friend

work is where you find it

First and foremost get some debt counseling, don't delay get on top of it today! Next, work from the longer term solution backwards. Long term aim is to become an electrician. You can be accredited for prior learning how much of what you have done I do not know. Advertise in electrical wholesalers to get work and try agencies. You have training and experience sell what you already have don't talk it down you will only harm your prospects. Maybe look at this link Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp it tells you what you will need nowadays. You sound a bit on the edge with it all, calm down and try to not throw the baby out with the bathwater if I may make so bold? If not strike that last remark I did not say it:)

When you have not done something for a long time it’s very easy to start doubting yourself at every turn

Remember, at this point no employer will be expecting you to be a fully versed sparks who can wire a consumers unit in an afternoon

I have dipped in and out the trade since I left school (have done sales jobs etc) but you never really forget how to do it

Even offer to do a couple small jobs for friends just to get your finger in again

You may be in luck and can carry on with you NVQ you started with - don't think they've changed the coarse code for a few years.

I would start phoning local electricians and just get your name out there, you might get the odd day here and there from people but thats how it all starts - down to you then to prove your worth when your foot is in the door!

Reply to Advice on getting back into the industry in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock