Discuss Advice on going it alone in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

conrad

-
Reaction score
The company i worked for just went into administration .
I was all set on trying it alone and have a couple months work lined up, obviously things could change. I have a mortgage, 2 young kids and wife whose not working. Ive had an offer at a mechanical firm who want to start M&E and have offered me jib rate just under £16 ph van etc...which is good for my area north wales. No one pays it. Anyone been in a similar situation. Difficult one
Cheers

I was all set on trying it alone and have a couple months work lined up, obviously things could change. I have a mortgage, 2 young kids and wife whose not working. Ive had an offer at a mechanical firm who want to start M&E and have offered me jib rate just under £16 ph van etc...which is good for my area north wales. No one pays it. Anyone been in a similar situation. Difficult one
Cheers
Not for me it wouldn't conrad. I made the right decision 1n 1076 when I was offered my old job back as a Maintenance Electrician other choice Subbying, glad I went back to my old job, didn't have a car had to Bus it to work, but it worked out great for me, and I was in the same boat as you except only 1 Child, take the M&E job mate I'm sure you won't regret it, good luck though in whatever you opt for. Plus your learning will go up and possibility of training courses, that's what made my mind up, wages went down dramatically, but worth it in the long run.

i know that pete, but could not resist. my worst keyboard error is hitting the caps lock when i press A.

Cheers
This has got to be your decision Conrad based on many different factors that we don't know about. You can't just base your decision on what a bunch of blokes (and SC) say on a website.

It depends on things like how much of a risk taker you are, how big the mortgage is, Is the M&E job secure, How much you like being your own boss etc etc etc.

My personal feeling is opposite to the ones above. I would much rather be self employed and enjoy the autonomy that goes with it. However, that's because I've been an employee working for a poor boss before.

One option would be to take the M&E job and fill out the 'secondary employment' forms (perhaps leave this for a year as it may look a little bad otherwise, plus it's only if they allow secondary employment) and slowly build up your business whilst at the same time having the security of a job. Perhaps go only part time at M&E giving you enough time for the second job.

It sounds like a good position to be in, to have the choice :)

This has got to be your decision Conrad based on many different factors that we don't know about. You can't just base your decision on what a bunch of blokes (and SC) say on a website.

It depends on things like how much of a risk taker you are, how big the mortgage is, Is the M&E job secure, How much you like being your own boss etc etc etc.

My personal feeling is opposite to the ones above. I would much rather be self employed and enjoy the autonomy that goes with it. However, that's because I've been an employee working for a poor boss before.

One option would be to take the M&E job and fill out the 'secondary employment' forms (perhaps leave this for a year as it may look a little bad otherwise, plus it's only if they allow secondary employment) and slowly build up your business whilst at the same time having the security of a job. Perhaps go only part time at M&E giving you enough time for the second job.

It sounds like a good position to be in, to have the choice :)
You put up a god argument HHD, problem is there are three more people and a Mortgage Company to please, so in my opinion and it is mine, security is paramount in Conrad's case, you're right it is his decision to make, along with his other half who looks after the Nippers, if he takes the job offer and gives it a go, but doesn't like it he can always give SE another coat of looking at.

Go self employed if you can afford it. You'll need a fair bit stashed away for when that two months work runs out. If you do a good job of promotion in that time then continuity of work might come.

Saying that, even in my bad years where I have worked maybe only a third of working days or fewer I have still managed to cover all our bills, and not adjust our lifestyle. All depends on what you need to bring in and how secure you need to be.

i know that pete, but could not resist. my worst keyboard error is hitting the caps lock when i press A.
I remember your ANGRY DAY! Tel!
To the OP - I’m of the secure position of the M+E job but only because you’ve the mortgage and family. What I would say though is the planning of ‘going it alone’ if you still feel the same way, in maybe two years where you’ll have squirrelled some start up money away.
It’s extremely expensive to set up on your own with vehicle, tools and insurances and accountancy that always seems to come along at the wrong time.
@Murdoch s words still ring true to me, that there will be 3 - 4 years of working before you start to make a profit. I agree with that and am looking forward to this year - my year of Jubilee.
In those two years of planning, you could network with builders, other sparks and even Kitchen fitters if you feel that way inclined and build up a ‘rolodex’ of future work.
All the best, whichever direction you travel.

as above.take the job for a year or 2. during that time if you want to eventually go it alone, build up contacts to ensure that work will come in regularly.

I have a good network building already. I have to let the M&E firm today ... Very difficult to turn security down. But after tax its 25 k. I believe i can achieve this and more. I agree with what everyone says which makes it difficult

I personally wouldn't go self employed with a family and mortgage to pay, and all the overheads involved plus the risk of not much work coming in, unless of course you have a fair chunk of money behind you to set you up and meet the bills when you are sitting at home with no work.

If you have 2 months work ahead of you already you are doing ok. Do you have all you need already in place for Self Employment? Tools, Van, Test gear, that Part P Notification thing if it applies to your work?

Heard from a mate up that way about your company, take it its the one beginning with F? Take the M&E job if you have been offered it, quite a few lads to find work.
Thats the one. Falconer Electeicals. I shared an article in the electrians facebook group. I have gone it alone and turned the offer down. Got my insurance sorted etc and will look to going with the niceic asap. Wish me luck

Reply to Advice on going it alone in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock