Discuss Advice on going it alone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
First message in the forum

Right I'm a fully qualified spark to 16th edition and also have 2391. I no longer do electric full time as I'm now a fireman. I have always done bits and pieces in my time off by word of mouth, but lately am not really getting much. Therefore I would like to advertise. I not registered with any organisation so would like to join somebody, NIC, Elecsa etc. to cover myself as getting work by advertising isn't obviously people I know, or know me. The advice I need is what schemes are best to join? I want to do mainly domestic work. Be able to sign this work off and also do periodic inspect and testing on any installation and issue a cert. On the very rare occasion i have done a bit of commercial work but I do not do any industrial stuff. Any solid ideas of what scheme I could join to carry out this work mentioned. Part P maybe?

Any help would be great

if your not getting much work lately maybe that suggests there is little about in the domestic sector , so no point jumping in , spending sh** loads of cash getting set-up and then not earning as much as your fireman job.
what im saying is dont bother , theres already a million 1 man bands fighting over scraps.

Cheers for the promp reply guys and that has been taken on board. I was hoping that via advertising I might be able to get some work really. I don't really put myself about a lot as I'm not registered with anyone. So thought that might be why I get f*** all!

Thanks i heard a few good things about Elecsa. As they are a Part P organisation do u know whether I can do periodic testing on installations with them and issue a certificate?

u could look to get employed part time with a company, then you don't need part p ? or even full time if you are looking to getting out of fire fighting /?

I was thinking of getting with a company but due to my irregular shifts, I can't commit to any specific days with a firm. Plus is nice to work for yourself if u know what I mean. But yeah have thought about what u have mentioned myself and is good advice. Not looking to leave the brigade as its a great job. Just don't want to waste the electric, plus the extra dough is very useful!

Reply to Advice on going it alone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net