Discuss Advice on if quote / estimate is pricey in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Djhonson

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new home owner and have had a quote on some electrical work I wanted done in my home. I was wondering on if someone could give some advice on if the estimate I have been given is over priced:

Estimate for the following electrical work -

• Full electrical installation condition report.

Entrance Hall -
• Supply 2 gang light switch.
• Supply 1x single socket.

Lounge -
• Remove 2 way switch.
• Change 2x single sockets to doubles (1x usb)
• Supply 2x double socket faceplates.
• Add double socket and relocate tv point to chimney breast.
• 6x new downlights.

Kitchen-
• 4x double sockets (1x with usb).
• 1x 2 gang light switch.
• 1x 1 gang light switch.
• 4 x new downlights.

Dining room -
• 4x new downlights.

Utility -
• Change trunking and tidy up.
• Replace light fitting for round LED.
• Add double socket.

Office -
• Add double socket.

Landing -
• Sink in 1 gang switch.

Master Bedroom -
• Sink in all sockets and switches.
• Add additional double socket.
• Change single sockets to doubles.
• Move pendant to centre.

Bedroom 2
• Move switch to the other side of the door

Bedroom 3

Outside -
remove outside light and install client supplied light to new location.

Total = £2100.

A lot depends on the build of the house.

Ie. Changing singles to doubles on a plasterboard wall takes about 10 minutes… up to an hour if hard brick, with making good with filler afterwards.

Any job requiring rewiring, or rerouting can take time if difficult runs.

A full EICR could take a full day, but would need completed in relation to any works also being done at same time.

It’s possibly a good price, and equally possibly too little looking at the number of little jobs on that list.

as @littlespark says it's hard to gauge exactly because the majority of the work is labour.

If the walls are solid, or the nasty original concrete brick, then each socket might easily take 30 minutes (more if making good), so depending on how many sockets are in each bedroom that could easily be a couple of days work.

If everything is plasterboard, then the sinking of sockets should not take long and all than it suddenly becomes half a day - which changes the pricing a lot.

The downlights may well take time, especially if access is not easily available from above and there is making good to be done

So I could see that all that work might easily take 4 days, in which case the price is likely not outrageous - it may be on the higher side, but for a quality job that may be worth paying for.

It will also vary depending where you are in the country, as prices in London will always be higher than those in other places.

If you feel it is too high, you should certainly try to get other quotes to compare.

It may also be worth having the EICR done first, because it's possible that will throw up problems that require correction and may impact on the other work or what you decide to change/upgrade.

Depending where you are, a decent EICR might take 1/2 a day and be in the £120-200 range (unless unduly complicated).

Make sure that an Electrical Installation Certificate will be provided for the additional work that is done, in terms of adding new sockets, etc.

If the price includes all materials then it seems a very fair price

This sort of job I would do by the hour and my hourly rate is £95 per hour , then materials on top

2 grand may sound a lot but these sort of jobs can easily start to run to 3 even 4 days if things don't go to plan

There is quite a bit of infomation missing from that list to decide if it is a good price or not. Depending on the age of the property and state of the plaster it could be one of those nightmare jobs that no one wants at any price

There is quite a bit of infomation missing from that list to decide if it is a good price or not. Depending on the age of the property and state of the plaster it could be one of those nightmare jobs that no one wants at any price
If no one wants it, then they’re be quoting 4 times that!

looks cheap on paper but as has been said, can't really get a proper idea without seeing in person.

Assuming two sockets per bedroom then approximately 55 points x £50 = £2750 or £2100 divided by 55 points = £38 just over per point, sounds fair to me.
bear in mind that the point price of £50 -£60 usually includes wiring new circuit/s.

Assuming two sockets per bedroom then approximately 55 points x £50 = £2750 or £2100 divided by 55 points = £38 just over per point, sounds fair to me.
I was charging £50 per point on rewires 15 years ago when I did farely regular rewires and 100mtr drum of 2.5 cable was about 40 quid.
I rarely do per point pricing these days but I did I would charge more like £90-95 per socket , there is simply no money at 50£ per point if that includes labour and materials at todays cable prices

I’m getting the sense that this house has had a rewire or partial rewire in the past due to the amount of trunking mentioned and the amount of chasing in.
Anything NOT rewired last time around, possibly lighting, might need work after the EICR is done.
So there may be extra costs (or different priorities) after the EICR.
As it stands it looks like a very fair price.

Something to consider is the amount of light in a workroom (Kitchen) are the four downlighter's quoted for additional or the total number, it may need additional light to be effective either under unit lights or additional downlight's, I used to work on 1:1.5M of ceiling area, but that also depends on the ceiling height above the worktop and how many wall cupboards, but is a good working figure for LED lights, also unless a bungalow these need to be fire rated if a habitable room is above.

I was charging £50 per point on rewires 15 years ago when I did farely regular rewires and 100mtr drum of 2.5 cable was about 40 quid.
I rarely do per point pricing these days but I did I would charge more like £90-95 per socket , there is simply no money at 50£ per point if that includes labour and materials at todays cable prices
I agree - £50/point is years out of date in my opinion.

Hi all,

I am a new home owner and have had a quote on some electrical work I wanted done in my home. I was wondering on if someone could give some advice on if the estimate I have been given is over priced:

Estimate for the following electrical work -

• Full electrical installation condition report.

Entrance Hall -
• Supply 2 gang light switch.
• Supply 1x single socket.

Lounge -
• Remove 2 way switch.
• Change 2x single sockets to doubles (1x usb)
• Supply 2x double socket faceplates.
• Add double socket and relocate tv point to chimney breast.
• 6x new downlights.

Kitchen-
• 4x double sockets (1x with usb).
• 1x 2 gang light switch.
• 1x 1 gang light switch.
• 4 x new downlights.

Dining room -
• 4x new downlights.

Utility -
• Add double socket.

Office -
• Add double socket.

Landing -
• Sink in 1 gang switch.

Master Bedroom -

Bedroom 2

Bedroom 3

Outside -
remove outside light and install client supplied light to new location.

Total = £2100.
Not expensive.

A lot of self employed sparks charge up to £75-100 per point.

This is lots of points and plenty of work as well as lots of fannying about.

£2100 is a fair price imo, maybe even on the cheap side. Rewiring would be easier.

Not expensive.

A lot of self employed sparks charge up to £75-100 per point.

This is lots of points and plenty of work as well as lots of fannying about.

£2100 is a fair price imo, maybe even on the cheap side. Rewiring would be easier.
How have you come to the conclusion that rewiring would be easier.

Reply to Advice on if quote / estimate is pricey in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net