Discuss Advice on Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

If I'm extending a lighting circuit, (adding two pendants and an outside light) from an existing pendant but the board doesn't have any protection (an old BS3036 fuse board) What's the best way to add RCD protection?

The new cable for the switches can't buried more tore than 50mm deep and I don't want to whack an RCD FCU anywhere as they are quite bulky.

What would be the best course of action to take to install this circuit so it complies with the Regs?

Thanks,
T

You could install a 3 module consumer unit fed from your 3036 board, then install an RCD and 6a mcb for the lighting circuit in this cu, which is notifiable work.

But, by the time you’ve gone to all that effort for just 1 circuit, you’d be better off upgrading the complete board and protecting the whole house.

You could install a 3 module consumer unit fed from your 3036 board, then install an RCD and 6a mcb for the lighting circuit in this cu, which is notifiable work.

But, by the time you’ve gone to all that effort for just 1 circuit, you’d be better off upgrading the complete board and protecting the whole house.
If done SpinLondon,s way would it still be notifiable? the OCPD at the origin of the circuit would be unchanged, only addition of additional protection.

I figured the RCD FCU at the origin would be the simplest solution.

As the old Wylex Fuses for lifting circuits are rated at 5a... What size fuse would I put in the RCD FCU? A 3a?

I believe there are currently 4 pendants on the circuit.

I don't think it would be notifiable because i would just be adding a fuse on the existing wiring, it just happens to be next to/near the fuse board?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As the old Wylex Fuses for lifting circuits are rated at 5a... What size fuse would I put in the RCD FCU? A 3a?
You need to get your discrimination tables out to answer that one!
My gut feel is that it won't discriminate.

But, whoa fella. Why an RCD FCU?. Just install an RCD.
You do not need any additional fusing.

Last edited:
I would say the fuse is largely irrelevant as it is not needed to provide protection, the fuse in the DB is doing that.

All yo really want is an RCD.

Slap a 13A in it.

If such a beast existed, you could fit a non fused RCD spur.

Tin hat on.

I just thought it would be cheaper and simpler to just add an RCD FCU would it now?

Just means I can split the existing cable, add the RCD FCU in between and be done with it?
One of the problems with that idea, is the requirement is to provide RCD protection for the circuit, not just part of the circuit.

One of the problems with that idea, is the requirement is to provide RCD protection for the circuit, not just part of the circuit.

I think his intention was to do this at the DB.

Why would the whole circuit need RCD protection?

Surly it would only be a requirement for the addition, or have i misunderstood the requirement again?

I think his intention was to do this at the DB.

Why would the whole circuit need RCD protection?

Surly it would only be a requirement for the addition, or have i misunderstood the requirement again?
It’s in the wording of the Regulation, same as for locations containing baths or showers.
The requirement is for the circuit to be provided RCD protection.
This is not the same as protecting cables concealed in walls or protecting items plugged into socket-outlets.

I figured I could put the RCD FCU next to the DB?

So the existing cable that comes from the fuse to the lighting circuit, essentially, split that in two, connect the side from the fuse to the supply side of the RCD FCU and then the cable that then runs to the lights on the load side of the RCD FCU....

That way the whole circuit is protected and the new fused unit stays out of sight but would still be accessible and I don't have to tamper with the fuse board too much (aside from safe isolation and testing etc)

Again, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

Reply to Advice on Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock