Discuss Advice on Kitchen ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daz1387

My ex partner has had a kitchen fitted on the cheap.. The guys ripped out existing wiring, fitted the kitchen minus any circuits.. The board is an old wylex 5 way, (which I have purchased plug in mcb's for)... I'm level 3 2330 trained but don't work in domestic electrics (automatic doors is my game)..

As there's only one spare way I was going to put a 32 ring in minus any cooker feed, as the hob is gas and the oven is 2400w.. washer 1840w, kettle 2400w.. Not ideal but this would be ok, yes? I had another guy look at it and he advised mounting washer and cooker sockets within the cupboards feeding ring circuit through the bottom of the wall (the CU is on the other side of wall) and basically running it around the base of the units and obviously chasing anything above the worktop (3 dble skts and spur for hood)...

What I need to know is, is it normal to come across a ring circuit of which most of it is lying on the floor underneath the units? I was told that, although not desirable and since the kitchen units have been put in already, this is a workable option as cables are effectively encased and inaccessible when the footboards go on..

Apparently there's a lot of kitchens like this.. I'm just a little uneasy having the cable lying there on the floor.. Maybe it's because the only domestic circuits i've done were at college and thus perfect..

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...Thanks

i'd be inclined to come through the wall above worktop, run horizontally between sockets and at same height fit 20A D/P switches for the low level appliances then dropp down from switches to single sockets. separate circuit for oven. split tails at RCD with henleys and fit additional sub-main ( 2 breakers) for kitchen. ( that's without seeing the job). make sure earthing and bonding are in place and adequate.

Thanks for the info... Could I use a 2way garage CU with an rcd and mcbs?(no main switch) Or is it best to get a board with just a main switch and then add the mcb's? Effectively, what I'm asking is, do I need a main switch as Im splitting from main RCD? I'd rather have an additional rcd in board too, but I have to look at cost factor and it's either one or the other...?

Also, the guy who done the boiler done an installation report and the Zs was 58.6 ohms (TT system)... He didn't really flag this on his report.. Should he have done? Could I bring that down by adding my own earth rod? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks for the advice..
Darren

from that post i have to say you need to get an experienced electrician to sort this out.

Reply to Advice on Kitchen ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock