Discuss Advice on light switches and fittings to use on lighting cct without cpc in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

freedomrun

Lighting CCT has no CPC present in a domestic install i'm working on (IR test is compliant for N-L), the customer is aware that the circuit does NOT have to have a cpc installed to each light switch and fitting, but wants those CLASS 1 types present to be replaced with CLASS 2 type. Just want some advice on what others use with regard to CLASS 2 fittings & switches (such as model type best price and so on). Cheers.

switches... any plastic switches will do. however, make sure that the back box lugs are nylon, otherwise there is the possibility of the screws becoming live in the event of a fault. as for the fittings, they should be marked with the double square. also label the CU accordingly with a warning notice and note it on your cert.

Class 2 accessories are just standard plastic, you and your customer just pick the preferred style. You should also consider nylon fixing screws for the switch plates.

Class 2 accessories are just standard plastic, you and your customer just pick the preferred style. You should also consider nylon fixing screws for the switch plates.
or silicon over the screw heads.

there are also some makes of switch (think BG or clik) with plastic screw caps. i think pink chewing gum would look a bit naff.

Thanks for this - i forgot to say that as for the switches, i can get standard plastic type that use metal screws - i can get these that have plastic heads that push in over the screw head tops just to improve the cosmetic appearance, would using these plastic heads over the metal screws comply to make the switch class 2 ?

check the back box lugs first. if original they should be nylon. make sure your screw are not too long as to contact with the metalwork of the box.

But if i use the plastic screw caps, the screws cannot be touched - does it then matter if the lugs are metal or if they touch the metalwork of the box, although if one of the plastic caps gets removed at some point, the problem occurs - i will have to use nylon screws then (but what if these get replaced with a metal one later ?) - best place to get them anyone ??

you need to check the lugs before deciding .

But if i use the plastic screw caps, the screws cannot be touched - does it then matter if the lugs are metal or if they touch the metalwork of the box, although if one of the plastic caps gets removed at some point, the problem occurs - i will have to use nylon screws then (but what if these get replaced with a metal one later ?) - best place to get them anyone ??
That's what the warning notice and the note in departures on the EIC is supposed to prevent.

Ok, so if i get standard plastic light switch with metal screws to back box and use a couple of plastic screw caps, include the notifications as kindly outlined on previous post - this will be compliant on a lighting cct without cpc - yes?

as good as you'll get.

Agreed, the circuit would still be non-compliant - but by following what has been outlined here in the previous posts, i have made the circuit as safe as i can. I will note on my EIC that non-compliances are present for the lighting circuit in question and what i have done to make it as safe as possible to the customer - without connection of a CPC.

Reply to Advice on light switches and fittings to use on lighting cct without cpc in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock